The Appalachian Mountains | Teen Ink

The Appalachian Mountains

By Luis13 BRONZE, Apopka, Florida
Luis13 BRONZE, Apopka, Florida

Introduction: The Appalachian Mountains are the second largest mountain system in North America. The Appalachian Mountains are old even for geological terms. They formed during the Paleozoic Era. They were named for the Apalachee Indians. The Appalachian system consists of many different ranges like, The White, Green, Black, The Great Smokey mountains, and The Berkshire hills, The Allegheny and Cumberland Plateaus and the Blue ridge mountains. The highest range is The Black Mountains. The highest mountain is Mt. Mitchell, (6,684Ft.).
History: The Appalachian Mountains are the oldest mountains in North America. They were formed in the Paleozoic Era. They formed when Pangaea broke apart. The Appalachian Mountains were named after the Apalachee Indians but they were not originally located in the Appalachian Mountains. The Apalachee Indians were originally located in northwestern Florida they were nearly destroyed by war in the early 1700s, the remaining survivors fled to Alabama and Louisiana. The descendants of the Apalachee Indians still live in Alabama and Louisiana today. The Mountains were named after the Indians because a stream of pioneers first moved there and saw the Appalachian mountains and they found that the geological features that they hold made it hard to travel so that’s how they got their name The Appalachian Mountains. More information and fun facts: My Fist topic is the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail is a foot path that runs about 2,175 miles long. The trail run from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mount Katahdin in Maine. The Appalachian Trail makes its way through forests, mountains, peaks, towns, and along the backbone of the Appalachian Mountains. People from around the world of all ages come here to hike and explore the Appalachian Trail. The states it run through are as follow: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.

My next topic is, Green Mountains National Park in Vermont. They extend about 250 miles. The green mountains are considerd to be apart of the Appalachian system. Other nerby Appalachian Mountains are the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and the Berkshires to the south in Massachusetts.

This is a map of witch states the Appalachian Mountains border. The state the Appalachian mountains run through are northern Alabama, northern Georgia, eastern Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Western Maryland, Pennsylvania, Northern New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and last but not least Maine. This map just shows the backbone of the Appalachian Mountains, it’s not all of them.

The Black Mountains North Carolina, they are the highest of all the different ranges in the Appalachian system. They hold the Appalachians mountains highest mountain Mt. Mitchell, which is 6,684 Ft. high. The black mountains are located in western North Carolina. They are a part of the Blue Ridge Mountains of the southern Appalachian Mountains.

There are many different ranges in the Appalachian system including: White, Green, Catskill, Black, and the Great Smokey Mountains, the Berkshire Hills, the Allegheny and Cumberland Plateaus, and the Blue Ridge. There is also tons of wild life that makes there home in the Appalachian mountains like: moose, white-tailed deer, black bears, beaver, chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels, foxes, raccoons, opossums, skunks, groundhogs, porcupines, bats, weasels, shrews, minks hawks, woodpeckers, warblers, thrushes, wrens, nuthatches, flycatchers, sapsuckers, grouses, and reptiles and amphibians frogs, salamanders, turtles, rattlesnakes, copperheads and many other animals make there home in the Appalachian Mountains.

This is the Appalachian Mountains in the fall; they are of many colors like seen in the picture. In my opinion the best time to see them is in the fall because of the natural beauty they come in. This photo was taken in Pennsylvania during October. My favorite time to see them is in winter and summer.
Conclusion: In conclusion, the Appalachian Mountains are old but very beautiful mountains. They are the second largest mountain system in North America, but they are the oldest. They have different wild life and different types of sceneries. The Appalachian trail is also something you are going to encounter. The Appalachian Trail is a foot path that runs about 2,175 miles long. It runs up the back bone of the Appalachian Mountains. The highest peak is Mount Mitchell, witch is about 6,684 Ft. high. Mount Mitchell is located in the Black mountains in North Carolina.

I was born in massachusettes and i used to love to make trips to the mountains.