Driving And Grades This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Students performing poorly in schools and on standardized tests seem to be a popular topic today in the media. Unfortunately, these discussions are often limited to complaints rather than to a logical forum for a constructive solution. As a teenager, the secret to mandating better grades is quite obvious: link driving privileges with attaining good grades.

High school students would need to attain a certain grade-point average to receive a driver's license. In addition, a fixed GPA would be maintained to keep the license. If the GPA falls below this guideline for two marking periods, then the student would lose the license until grades improved. For the first year after getting a license, if a student had an accident or got a ticket for a major moving violation, speeding, drinking and driving, the student would lose the license for six months. To regain it, the student would need to attend drivers ed again.

If a driver's license depends on good grades, students would have another motivation for doing well in the classroom. All high school students want to be able to drive because it means freedom. If high school students have to do well in school to be eligible for receive a license, then most would get good grades. This would mean that our nation's teenagers would become better students. Perhaps SATs and other standardized test scores would also rise.

Some students would not be able to reach the GPA. If they had a proven disability, then there would have a different average to attain, and keep. If a student is not able to reach the average and does not have disability, he or she will have to demonstrate hard work. The student would have the principal write a letter to the Department of Motor Vehicles stating that the student is keeping up with the assigned work to the best of his or her ability.

Restricting a driver's license to those students who do well in school is a great idea. Not only would it motivate kids to work hard in school, but also it would have a positive effect on our society. Smarter kids with driver's licenses could mean that wiser driving decisions would be made. ?

soccergeek2112 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 4:22 pm:
I'm going to suggest that most of the people opposing this here either do not have the required grades, did not, or are on the border, because there is no other logic that could support this blatant disregard of a good idea. The cut-off point, a 2.0, is a very attainable goal.

JakeFromStateFarm replied...
Sept. 18, 2013 at 8:31 am :
I currently am a Student In high school and i am keeeping a 3.8 GPA and i do not agree with the law for two reasons, one being there is no correlation between Driving Habits and High School Classes, and two I know of more people with a good GPA That have gotten in to accidents, than students with a low GPA; i say if you want to be a parents Decision fine but a law? that just doesnt seem right.

Kelton replied...
Feb. 26 at 10:20 am :
I think this is a bad, bad, BAD idea! I graduated with a 3.7 GPA, attended college while in high school. I had a couple of wrecks (though I was not at fault). My husband, dropped out of school, would not have had the required GPA under these guidelines and he has't had a wreck in years. And, btw, he makes more money than most people with a bachelor's degree. Not to mention, this would encourage more kids to drop out, if they really needed to work.....when it c... (more »)

MerKeD MoNsTeR said...
May 13, 2011 at 10:41 am:
COOLIO KID YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE GOOD GRADES BECAUSE U MIGHT NOT LIKE SCHOOL BUT U WILL PAY ATETION IN DRIVER ED

dadys girl replied...
May 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm :
totally true hahaha

Snoopylover101 replied...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:12 am :
i have just passing grade because i can't pay attion in class, but i try, and the classes i do like i do well in.  and i busted my butt in drivers ed. but i thought i failed one of my classes turns out i didn't when i got my report card. But my dad does not belive me, and then said he does not care, i can't get it tel next year, and by then it will be to late and i will have to take drivers ed. over.

Nattiee Gee said...
Umm , Students who Lose their drivers' license get emotional and angry . Then their grades go down and then they will never get them back until they are out of high school . . . . . horrible

classof2013 said...
Jan. 17, 2011 at 7:48 am:
you could be the smartest person in the world and be the worst driver ever and make the worst decisions

jacrat16 replied...
Apr. 1 at 10:27 am :
I couldn't agree more!

cutie pie said...
this is a stuid article ppl need cars to work to support their families!!

coolio kid- Alicia replied...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm :
Actually, to cutie pie, this is not a stupid idea. it will motivate students to work harder to get their liscinse. If you can spend all your money ona car which isnt cheap, and gas money every like 2 weeks, dependiing on your car, then you should be able to afford a day care, and if you are needin to get them you have a car pull. you can pay someone money each week for bringing the kids to and from school, or day care. You can take a cab or a bus or even have a friend or relative bring you somew... (more »)

WIMPZILLA 3000 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:52 am :
why would you have kids your in high schoool

pingpongball 132 replied...
May 13, 2011 at 10:22 am :
i totaly agree

Snoopylover.101 replied...
Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:14 am :
because people are stupied and have sex b4 marrage, and they do it over and over, and the don't realize you can have kids on birth control, and condoums, best thing to do is not...

Razgriz23 replied...
Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:16 pm :
well they are stupid they just dont think about there future they dont know how hard the future can be. they have no idea how hard the future can be they just cant take the time to think about what will happen after sex if they had a child.but i believe that a high schooler should get a license in high school! why? well there are many answers why one they could go to there jobs or they could use the vihicle to well provide themeselves transport. two so that they could look around town where they... (more »)