The Pond of Death (map story) | Teen Ink

The Pond of Death (map story)

By salina white BRONZE, Irmo, South Carolina
salina white BRONZE, Irmo, South Carolina

My aunt was holding on to the bike with both hands. I made her promise not to let go. She swore that she wouldn’t. But of course being the person that she is, as soon as I was really starting to get fast she let go. My bike immediately swerves to the right. I fall off of the bike and into the bushes. Then I started rolling down the steep hill that leads to the pond that separates my house from my neighbors. I call it the pond of death. But with good reason. This pond is no ordinary pond. This pond is filled with snakes, leeches and a bunch of mud and really gross stuff. So, down and down I roll until smack! I hit the boulder dead on. When I think about it now I wonder why I couldn’t see it coming. That thing was huge! But anyways, I can hear my Aunt calling my name, “Salina! Salina are you okay?” Well of course I wasn’t. Eventually she came and got me and hauled me back up the hill. Thankfully I wasn’t that badly hurt. Just some bad scrapes and bruises. There was a lot of blood though. By the time my aunt had calmed me down enough to check my wounds, I was crying hysterically for my mother. I knew my mom was on a big, important phone conference but when you’re seven years old and bleeding you just don’t care. So heart thumping, arms pumping, I ran inside and started banging on the door to where her meeting was being held as hard and as loud as I could. “Mom! Mom!” I screamed. But she never answered. So sweaty and hurt, I went upstairs to sulk. Finally about 2 decades later, my mom came upstairs to check on me. I told her what had happened and how much I was mad at my aunt. She asked if I was all right and of course by then I was. That day I told myself and anyone else who would listen, that I would never, ever ride my bike ever again. Now I ride my bike almost 4 times a day every day.

I wrote this piece for my creative writing class. We were supossed to draw a map of where we grew up and write a story about one of the places on the map. I chose the pond next to my house.