Words

Words

The planet is composed of elements, but words form our lives. They can appear inside the mind in all capitals, a “LOOK AT ME!” word that begs to be chosen, or pass almost unnoticed, catching your eye the second before you glance away. Thousands of words exist around us on signs, in flyers, and throughout your house, each with a unique shape, meaning, and sound. There are so many different ways to say what you mean; so many meanings to what you can say. All you have to do is look.

The best words are hidden, just below the surface, perfect expressions that you love to use. Like ripe fruit they crunch between your teeth, the sweet juice running down your chin. These hidden gems show themselves when you least expect it, silently sliding into your soul, imprinted there eternally. Like a whisper on the wind they float into your consciousness, there for a second, then gone the way they came- but when you close your eyes, a carbon copy dances behind your lids.

These words are precious, yet we toss them around like they are worthless. In texts, instant messages, and even everyday conversation, we knock off half the letters so they’re “easier” to use, but in this listless state, why would you use them anyway? They become the broken shells of their former selves, shadows of what they once were.

Words should not be treated as nothing. Written, spoken, or demonstrated through sign language, they are forms of communication, occupation, entertainment, and artistic expression. A scribbled reminder, a typed manuscript, a carefully penned love letter- all are impossible without words. The beauty of words is their amazing versatility.

Spat out, jotted down, and rolled off a tongue, words are a key part of us. Without language, we are like human vegetables, kept alive by machines and plastic tubes. Without words, one must wonder, are we really alive at all?

HiddengoldTeeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 3 at 1:10 am:
You are truly a gifted writer!

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this. Have you read Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury? This reminds me of it.