The Long and Winding Freeway | Teen Ink

The Long and Winding Freeway

May 1, 2008
By Anonymous

The Long and Winding Freeway

There I was, in the middle of English class, when I realized how I wanted to live my life. Of all the classes, English was my least favorite; math and science were my strong points. I wanted to not only exceed in those classes but I wanted to have an effect on the world. My dream was decided at that point: to become a doctor. The memories from that year, today, and my future memories are the key in living out that dream.






The idea came to me a little more than a year ago in English class. The discussion was Romeo and Juliet and the only word that stuck in my head was apothecary. It intrigued me to think that medicine could be the cure or, in Romeo’s case, be his demise. It came to me that everyone had a goal in life and my goal was to help the world. The song “You Were Born for This” was the inspiration. Tremolo sings, “You were born for this / C’mon light it up it’s your life you don’t want to miss” (8-9). These words were a push forward encouraging me that I was to help others and hope the best for myself. It seems that one lifetime is a highway with a destination and everyone is moving fast, you cannot stop or slow down. In other words, life moves too fast and ends too abruptly. Coheed and Cambria wrote a song, “The Running Free”, which would have little relevance to my memory except for its strong chorus line. The line states, “Spend your time well before you go” (15). In those short words I wanted to do something with my life that would never make me feel like I was wasting it. Although medicine is fascinating to me, the motive I have for becoming a doctor is to use my life to better others’.

From the beginning, I knew my dream was not an easy one. There are many ways to ‘get rich quick’ in this world and being a doctor is not one of them. I sometimes have to weigh the pros and cons of getting a medical degree. I empathize with the song “Over My Head (Cable car)”. It states, “Everyone Knows I’m in/ over my head” (9-10). In times, I feel that I am not smart enough or that I would regret being a doctor. Although this song reminds me of the challenges I will face, another reminds me that it is a journey worth taking. “All At Once” by The Fray explores the idea that, “Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same” (6). I find this song genuinely true because the choice seems the hardest but the most rewarding. Despite my uncertainties today, I know the choice I make will affect my future and maybe the future of others.











I have a clear picture of what my future will resemble. In fact, I can picture myself ten years from now working in a hospital for low pay and long hours and one thought comes to my head. The song “A Hard Day’s Night” illustrates,” It’s been a hard day’s night, and I’ve been working like a dog . . . / You know I feel alright ” (1-20). It is easy to imagine coming home exhausted but pleased for having worked for such a feat. Besides physical strains there will be emotional strains I will have to face. I can expect myself to make a mistake or not know how to cure someone which ends up costing them their life. The song “How to Save a Life” would describe my faults:










“And I would have stayed up with you all night






Had I known how to save a life” (11-12).
As a doctor, I will have to understand that I am not God. If I obsessed over every terminal patient I would never be able to help. My future will have sad memories but it will also have joyous ones.











In ten years I might think back to that moment I discovered myself. I will remember the song that inspired me and how it gave me purpose. Also, I will have forgotten the insecurities I have now. The future I end up having will differ from what I thought but the work and the turmoil will be there. Through understanding my memories and believing in my future I can trust that I live out my dream.