Violence is Never Pretty | Teen Ink

Violence is Never Pretty

May 18, 2010
By gafoti2 BRONZE, Armonk, New York
gafoti2 BRONZE, Armonk, New York
4 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Normally there is nothing positive associated with tragedy, but positive things can result from violence. When thinking about violence, like the attack at Virginia Tech, Chris Brown’s beating of Rihanna, or the Civil War, you don't focus on the good side. But all these events have had constructive outcomes in the world today.

Thirty-two people and twenty-five wounded were attacked during a killing spree at Virginia Tech. Because of this schools have enforced higher and safer security methods. Thus prompting the federal government to pass the most significant gun control law in over a decade. Even though thirty-five people were killed, thousands of students all around the country have been protected, and are safer. It is also possible that other families will never have to experience this type of loss. To hault gun purchases by criminals, or those declared mentally ill and others, the bill, H.R. 6240 orders improvements in state reporting’s to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Without the massacre, the federal government might not have passed the gun control law, or stopped the purchasing of unregistered guns by criminals. This is an example of how one violent act can change the lives off all American citizens.

It started with a text. Chris Brown beat Rihanna out of rage because of a fight they had regarding a text from another woman. This outburst from a famous couple has shown millions of couples that relationships aren’t always as safe as they seem. According to People magazine, [Chris Brown] "turned to face Brown and he punched her in the left eye with his right hand” This incident has enlighten couples to the abuses that come from dating violent people. Unfortunately because they are young and attractive people are taking notice of this story. This is a story that affects many young women who aren’t as lucky as Rihanna. Their story is an example of how violence can change people’s mindsets.

The American Civil War (1861-1865) was the deadliest war in American history, resulting in more than 620,000 deaths of soldiers. Northern leaders agreed that victory would require more than just ending the war, it had to encompass the two goals of war; all forms of slavery had to be eliminated, and secession had to be refused. Through these deaths came the restored union, the legal abolishment of slavery and the strengthened role of the federal government.

Violence is never pretty, but it often works as a reminder of what we need to defend. In the case of Virginia Tech, we need to ensure the safety of all children. With the story of Rihanna’s beating, we need to ensure that women will not stand for dating abuses. And in the case of this great nation, violence ensured that all men would be treated equally and freed.