United We Must Stand | Teen Ink

United We Must Stand

May 4, 2010
By WolfgangSL BRONZE, Houston, Texas
WolfgangSL BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Pain is Temporary but Pride is Forever"


“Bellum Omnium In Omnes”
(War of all, against all.) -- Unknown


War is like a genetic trait to us, we know it’s wrong but we still do it, some even say we need it to become a better group as a whole. No matter what you believe in we were all made up of the same parts. Kill or be killed was written in our genetic makeup, but who wrote it if we are all striving for the same goal of survival, what is stopping us from working together if two heads are better than one?

Over 1,308,459 people were killed in only 10 major wars since 1775, that’s more than the total population of D.C. and Wyoming combined. We have used over 1.2 trillion in just one of these wars, but with just half of that money could be used to pay for a public health campaign, double the cancer research funding, treat every American whose diabetes or heart disease is now going untreated, and a global immunization campaign to save millions of children’s lives.

Now the logical decision would be to do this and help all these people wouldn't it? How many do you think would rather spend money on fighting a war that could be resolved with simple negotiation than denying the chance of someone in need to possibly save his or her life? If we are all “ab origine” or “From the origin; from the first” why do we perceive people as different,why must one lose for on other to win?

In around 1942 a man by the name of Theodor Schulte-Ladbeck , a career soldier for the German army, in the special forces unit made a decision that put himself at risk. Theodor and his unit were holding up a fortified trench when a live grenade fell near him, he believed that he was already dying since the doctors could not remove a bullet that had previously been lodged close to his heart. He made the split decision of jumping onto the grenade, risking his life to save the lives of his fellow soldiers whom he shared no bonds with other than trust and respect. The explosion did not kill him and he made it to the hospital but died later due to injury complications.

What stopped this man from running the other direction and saving himself with the slim possibility of warning his men along the way. Although are human nature is kill or be killed what makes us human, the thing that keeps us all sane is our ability to feel emotion. Pity, love, and sadness our just some of the things that in a war based society would make us “weak”. So then why didn't these “weaknesses” get rooted out through the process of natural selection? Maybe we need it to know when we have gone to far or maybe it gives us that sense of security that we always come back to in the end reassuring us that we are safe.

I believe that if you have the power to help someone that is struggling in whatever the situation is you should do it because we all came from the same place, we all are made of the same genetic material so what makes one less than another? We can all just try to better each others chances of getting through these new “disasters” if we stop thinking of it as a competition between country’s and start thinking of it as a joint cooperation in which we need to stick together to succeed. Because we are all entitled to “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” and the logical solution to that is to stop delaying ourselves with petty problems that we spend so much time, money, and lives trying to solve though it makes it works instead of working together to solve the problem. This is the process that we must take to truly become “a more perfect union.” and that is what our ancestors believed and died for and no more minds should be wasted in wars that con be resolved with out bloodshed.