Friendship | Teen Ink

Friendship

By BEAGLEMAN BRONZE, Houston, Texas
BEAGLEMAN BRONZE, Houston, Texas

I have realized that real friendship is not about what you can give a person, but real friendship is helping a person, encouraging a person, and just caring for a person overall. I believe that many people have misunderstood the way you show you care about a person. This is why I feel I don't have as many real friends as I would like.
Many people admire a person who is nice and friendly, but people aren't willing to be nice themselves. People admire a person who has positive influences on the environment around them. But people don't want to be nice or friendly because it makes them feels "soft". We don't have to be like everybody else. We can be that person that everybody admires. My question is why, WHY do we feel like we have to blend in with everybody, leaving the people that want to be themselves alone and depressed.
Today most people that need a friend are hateful people. When kids talk about another kid and say "Oh, I don’t like that kid, he's just a big jerk". Those are the pour broken kids that need a simple smile, a single sentence of encouragement. Those kids feel the need to be hateful or mean because no one is accepting of them. As much as I hate to admit it, I could be more encouraging and nice to others around me.

Friendship is a necessary aspect of life. It affects the way we communicate, socialize with people, look, act, think, and even eat (sometimes). Without friendship life would be so very different. Everyone needs a friend that they know will support them when they need it most. We need friends to properly grow, learn, and work. I know allot of you cannot even fathom a world without friendship. Nothing good will come out of it. It is hardly possible to not have at least one person in your life that is your friend.
The world runs on friendship, without this, life as we know it would be cruel and satanic. So that means that in everything, every action, every word, every phrase, we speak or do, please make even the tiniest effort to be a true friend, for this could have a great impact on an individual. In the words of Abraham Lincoln:

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

*Abraham Lincoln

I realized that friendship is a very important part of life by doing my teacher's project.