Buggy Mayhem | Teen Ink

Buggy Mayhem MAG

I woke up tired, as usual, and began to get ready for another day of school. Iwent about my daily routine and headed off to school, unaware of what was instore. Soon after I left my home, I found myself in the middle of the road with abroken windshield and pieces of my truck, and parts of another car, scatteredeverywhere.

On that cold December morning, I was taking my time, drivingat a safe speed. I noticed a lot of traffic on Route 23 going in the oppositedirection. Thinking little of this, I patiently waited for an opening to scoot infront of oncoming traffic. I was concentrating so hard on the traffic that when Ifinally saw a small break, I didn't look at the shoulder of the road to see thata large horse pulling a buggy with two passengers was approaching.

I hadalready worked my way across the busy traffic before I saw the horse and buggy. Ireacted quickly, knowing there was only a matter of feet before the powerfulhorse would strike the side of my truck, but it was too late. A large equine headsmashed into my windshield and the horse ran its powerful body into the side ofmy truck. I tried to maneuver to miss the carriage, and in doing so hit anautomobile.

It all happened so fast. I sat in my truck, allowing the eventto sink in. My knees were shaking so much I thought I couldn't stand up. My handsweren't responding like they usually did, and my throat was so dry I could hardlytalk.

I made my way toward the vehicle I had hit and began to apologize.Surprisingly, the driver was understanding and quite sympathetic. Then the driverof the horse and buggy approached, and I apologized to him, too. Fortunately forme, as well as the Amish man, his horse was not injured. While the three of uswere discussing the situation, an ambulance stopped to make sure everyone was allright. The scene looked worse and worse by the second and soon a police officerappeared. I was so embarrassed.

After the policeman arrived, the threeof us exchanged information. The officer let the Amish man leave after he took alook at my truck and the other vehicle. Once he had gathered all the information,we pushed the debris to the side of the road. Somehow I managed to move my truckto my father's shop, which was only 200 yards from the accident.

Idefinitely learned from my mistakes. I realize that driving is not a joke andthat automobiles are expensive to repair. The cost to fix my pickup truck was$5,000. I need to be much more careful when I drive since vehicles - even a horseand buggy - may be approaching. A slogan I have adopted after this experience is,"Check, check and double-check!"

i love this !