300 Seconds | Teen Ink

300 Seconds MAG

It was one of those unbearably hot days in June when the humidity hangs in the airlike a thick fog. Even the incessant buzzing of the bees became languid. I was onmy way to baby-sit and the air-conditioning (about the only thing that works inmy car) was on full blast, along with Eminem on the stereo.

As I drove, myattention turned to the rearview mirror and I watched a police car pull outbehind me. I slowed to a safe 27 miles per hour and obeyed all the traffic rules.It was only nine days after I got my license, and I didn't want to take anychances.

I watched, my heart pounding, as he followed me for severalstreets. Then, it happened. Lights started flashing and sirens wentoff.

"Ma'am, pull into the 7-Eleven parking lot," I heard fromthe cop car.

My heart was racing and my hands were shaking as I waited forthe officer to approach the car. I retraced every move I had made, trying tothink of something that would make him pull me over. Did I stop at the stop sign?Yes! Did I go over the speed limit? No! Am I wearing my seatbelt? Yes! So, whatdid I do wrong?

"License and registration, please."

Ifumbled around in my glove compartment until I found the papers. He carefullyexamined every detail of my license. He probably noticed that I had just gottenit, since he questioned me as if I were on trial.

"You wearglasses?" he asked.

"Yes, but I have contacts in now," Ireplied.

He then leaned in to inspect my eyes in search of the smallplastic discs. Did he think I was lying?

"You have a restrictedlicense," he stated, "What are your restrictions?"

At thispoint I wasn't sure if he was asking to see if I knew or because he didn't. Iexplained the provisions.

"Are you aware that your tail light isout?" he asked.

I breathed a sigh of relief."No."

"Well, I'm not going to give you a ticket, but thisis a warning. You need to get that fixed."

Those five minutes werethe longest I have ever experienced. I was late for baby-sitting, and then Ilocked my keys in my car, but that's another story. At least I lived through myfirst experience with the cops, and I got away unscathed (although a littletraumatized).

i love this !