Lost Chance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I'm in the back seat of a Suburban with the most gorgeous girl I've ever laid eyes on. I can smell her hair, inches from my face. I can see each delicate curve of her body. I hear her breathing, and I inch closer. My arm twitches at my side, eager to touch her. My lips contour themselves at the thought of kissing her; it wouldn't matter where. In the moonlight streaming through the window, I see her smile and my breath catches in my throat. Her silhouette beats on the drum inside my chest, putting my body in rhythm with hers. My imagination stays where I last left it instead of wandering through getting to know her, as it might have in a different scenario. Every emotion that may have existed inside of me filters through her and is strained from my being, leaving me purified of the strains and worries of a 15-year-old's life. A wisp of a memory touches the end of a thread in my mind, but her next breath blows it away. I desire nothing more than to sit where I am, without the intoxication of anything else in the world, next to her.

A laugh from the seat in front of us semi-awakens me from my trance. The next bounces clearly upon my head. The other four teens in the driver's education class with us appear in my eyes. I look at her, unchanged, laughing with them. I settle back in and spend the next hour trying to put my arm around her. I can't bring myself to do it. A simple thing, but I cannot manage it. When we stop and she moves forward a seat, my heart sinks.

"Coward," I tell myself. I stop to reconsider. "No, human."

Emy3nerd said...
Sept. 7, 2011 at 10:21 am
Wow, this was amazing to read. At the end of it I covered my mouth and said wow, this was so detailed and I wish you had talked to her. I relate to you because I have gone through this myself with a boy I have liked since 2nd grade. Good luck and I hope you will get up enough courage to talk to her.

glittergirl101 said...
Sept. 7, 2011 at 10:19 am
I love your story and the way you wrote it.

Kayla S. said...
Mar. 1, 2009 at 1:00 am
This was beautiful!! The way you described how you felt about this girl was amazing. Keep it up!