My Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Racing. NASCAR. Stock cars. Drivers. Motorsports. Usually these words make people think of two types of people: rednecks and men. I hate that state of mind.

I‘m a teen girl with a dream of driving in NASCAR professionally. My sister has the same dream. We both know that it may be tough to get into this sport because we are “girls,” but I have done some reading and found that women actually have better coordination and focus than men. I figure that women are at a disadvantage because most fans and team owners think women can‘t do anything as well as men.

When I went to a race with my dad and some of his friends, we stayed at a campground. I was completely disgusted to see men screaming and yelling at all the hot girls who came down the road. They only saw the pretty faces and never considered that they could be looking at the best racecar driver ever.

My sister and I are really good drivers and have a need for speed. We need to show the way for girls everywhere, no matter how unfair others might be. A lot of boys say that I could never be a racecar driver. They should shut up and look in the mirror. I can, and I will, do it.