Shattered Dreams | Teen Ink

Shattered Dreams MAG

By Anonymous

     Little did I know that this seemingly normal day would turn out to be one of the most memorable in my high-school career.

I was in first-period band when suddenly the sound of a heart monitor came over the intercom. It sped up, slowed down, then fell to the bone-chilling sound of a flat line. At that point, a tall figure in black entered our room escorted by a police officer. I knew what was happening, but couldn’t stop it. The officer called my name, then read my obituary written by my parents. I was escorted away from my friends and out of class by Death.

Later, a 911 call was played over our intercom. A frightened woman told the dispatcher that there had been an accident at the high school and it looked as though people were hurt. The student body rushed outside to find two smashed cars. Glass was everywhere and people were screaming. Medical personnel and law enforcement arrived to tend the wounded and declare our victim dead.

A field sobriety test was given and one student was declared legally drunk and taken into custody, while the driver’s friends waited to be transported to the hospital or loaded into the hearse. Friends of the dead screamed and most were in a panic.

In a quiet state of confusion, I watched as my friends were loaded into the ambulance and hearse. I didn’t even notice the tears streaming down my face. These friends were gone, never to enjoy life again.

Somehow, the day continued and kids around me were dying every 15 minutes and all I heard was something about a statistic.

Finally the day ended with all the “dead” gathered for everyone to see. The following day a funeral was held for those who died. Suddenly the focus of this mock accident became completely clear: drinking and driving destroys many lives each year.

This program, called Shattered Dreams, gave our juniors and seniors a glimpse of what could happen. It was held a week before our prom in hopes of stopping would-be drinkers from getting behind the wheel. Many dreams and lives are shattered every day due to drinking and driving. Please, don’t be a statistic, or let your friends be one. Don’t drink and drive.