Big Toys This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I chose dollies instead of dolls at the age of three. For as long as I can remember, I have tagged along with my dad. From farm chores to fixing cars, I was always at his side. I enjoyed getting tools for Christmas and birthdays, and although my mom would try to get me to play with dolls, I stuck with tools and model cars. While other kids ran home to play, I ran to the garage. I’d spend endless hours there with my dad asking, “What is that? Can I try?”

In elementary school, my mom would ask what I wanted to be when I grew up. I always replied, annoyed, “Don’t know, don’t care!” My mom would get really excited for back-to-school shopping because for once I would go shopping for “real clothes.” Usually when she went to town, she would ask if I needed anything and I’d say, “Tools or flannel!”

In my teen years, when girls began to dye their hair and get their nails done, I thought it was a waste since my nails and hands were always stained. While others were thinking about boys, I was thinking about which car I would fix next. Boys never crossed my mind! Until seventh grade, that is, when I met this cute mechanic boy who was just like me! We started dating, but it wasn’t any ordinary relationship - it was all about cars! We would go to each other’s house and see each other’s work.

Halfway though junior year, I decided I would be a second-grade teacher. I figured I wouldn’t need to know much because it’s all easy stuff. Then senior year arrived. One day in Basic Auto we had a speaker from a mechanics school in Florida. As he talked about the different career opportunities, I smiled. I thought about it and applied. Then I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally I got a letter that read “Congratulations, you have been accepted ...”

After opening that letter with my heart pounding, I reflected on my childhood memories. Working with my dad had really did paid off. I am glad I fixed those cars instead of thinking about boys. Now I get to live my dream and play with big cars instead of toys.

Sledger said...
I was supeisd that a girl wood want to go to a mackanik school. But I m glad she was exeptid