Underage Drinking This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Three families were changed forever over Labor Day weekend 2006, when three teenage boys crashed their car into a tree. One lay dying while his two friends left the scene. By the time the car was found the next morning, the victim had died. The driver had been driving while intoxicated. Not only did the victim’s family suffer a great loss, but the driver and passenger of the vehicle have to live with the guilt of their friend’s death for the rest of their lives.

Some people believe that if parents oversee their teenagers’ drinking, there would be less alcohol abuse. I have friends whose parents allow parties with drinking in their home, as long as the teens do not drive afterward. But when the guests leave the party, how can these parents be sure they will not drive?

What really brought this home for me was the traveling Gone4Ever exhibit that came to my high school last year. The exhibit displayed information about teenagers who died in car accidents; some had been driving under the influence of alcohol or had been a passenger with a drunk driver. The despair of the families who were left to pick up the pieces was evident. Seeing photos of the teenage victims and realizing that their dreams were cut short because of an error in judgment was overwhelming for me.

Consequently, I don’t agree that allowing teenagers to drink in moderation with supervision is the answer to the growing problem of teenage drinking. Teenagers feel they are invincible. They need to know that drinking - even just a small amount - can have serious consequences - consequences they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

aditipallodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:23 am
Wow, this was a beautifully written article. It was eye-opening and I truly think that people would be inspired by this.