Speech and Debate Team | Teen Ink

Speech and Debate Team

September 25, 2007
By Anonymous

One of my favorite school clubs is the Speech and Debate Team. You get to travel all over the western slope and meet so many interesting people. It also helps you improve your speaking skills incredibly. I always have a great time when I go on the trips. It is like going on a free vacation. From these experiences, I have created lasting memories from each tournament.
Throughout the majority of the school year, the Speech and Debate Team travels to many different high schools across western Colorado. We take trips to towns such as Durango, Moffat County, Delta, and Palisade. During the competition there are three rounds. For each round you must perform your piece and the judge will rank you among the group of performers in the same room. As the competition progresses, you will go through the other two rounds and hopefully make it “on stage” when the awards ceremony comes. “On stage” means that you have placed in that competition and go on stage to receive your award.
Also, I love the very eccentric people you meet at these competitions. There definitely is a recognizable difference between the speech people and the debate people. I think it is fair to say that the debate people are more formal. However, the interpretation people are a little bit more abnormal. Quirky is probably the best word for them. No matter which event they are in, the debaters and the actors are very sociable.
Absolutely, the Speech and Debate Team is a lovable extra-curricular activity. The tournaments are incredibly amusing with the amazing people and sensational places it travels to. It creates tons of momentous memories that you will never forget.