The Future Essay | Teen Ink

The Future Essay

By Whatisemily BRONZE, Washington Twp, Michigan
Whatisemily BRONZE, Washington Twp, Michigan

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."-Dr. Seuss

The future is defined as, “the indefinite time yet to come.” As a teenager the future and this indefinite time is one of the most terrifying experiences of life. Many of us don’t know what to do, that’s scary. Then there’s the small amount of us who know exactly what to do, and have yet to discover how to actually get there. That’s even more intimidating than not knowing at all.
The moment someone finds out what they want to do, it’s almost as if a light bulb over surges and you see everything in a moment’s time. Then it all goes black. It’s not like an idea where the light bulb can extend its power forever until you find your way, more like a teasing sight into what could be. This is the life of the teenager with direction.
When I realized what I wanted to do at a young age, I thought just carrying on and doing what I love would be enough. Although, within a few years the shining sheen of glitter my dream once had was starting to dwindle. When real life sets in you are struck with horror, because you know that there’s something so perfect out there for you, but have no clue how to get to it.
Life could be spent doing something tedious, and you will be miserable. The thought of being miserable for the rest of my life unsettles me. This is why I’m determined to succeed. The profession I had chosen all of those years ago back in eight grade does not seem practical for a girl like me. Security, I am a person of security, structure, and schedule (With schedule loosely used, I’m not a planner kind of person.). Which is why becoming a writer would seem rather odd to a person outside my mind.
Whether they’re big or small, people have dreams. It could be to have a safe place to sleep at night, or to become famous. Dreams are the fuel behind our lives. Why do we keep moving forward? Because our passions and dreams keep us trekking along into the unknown, learning new things, seeing new places, and meeting new people. As stated earlier, the future is, “the indefinite time yet to come,” we as humans with our ambitions and aspirations must take advantage of this period. The future can be anything. Although the anxiety we may feel, we need to bite back the trepidation and think about the good things about the future, and all of its possibilities yet to come.

This was something I wrote more for my personal gain. There was a time when I doubted my future, then the other side said basically everything that is in the essay.