Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

By brendan M BRONZE, Commack, New York
brendan M BRONZE, Commack, New York

In this world, everybody matures differently. Everybody has his or her own experiences that shape him or her into their future selves. These experiences occur periodically throughout life, but the way I see it, the majority of them happen during the teenage years. It’s a time where kids are trying to find themselves, trying to get comfortable with who they really are. I see it as a time to take risks. There’s so much to experience in this world, and a lot of people never get to experience a majority of those things due to one of two things; fear, or ideas imposed upon them by other people. I’m 15 right now, almost 16. That means I really only have 2 more years before my decisions start dramatically impacting my future.
I definitely don’t confine myself to the expectations of others. I try to please my loved ones, but when it comes down to it, I have to do what I think is best for myself. Sometimes, people don’t understand why I think some unorthodox things are best for me. I think that I need to experience the good and the bad, so I can understand why people pass judgment on certain things. It’s like when kids grow up in say a Democratic household. Most kids do not understand politics very well, and they just go with what mommy and daddy say at dinner. Then they repeat it and pretend to know what they’re talking about. If you aren’t educated on a topic, don’t act like you are. So I think that applies to all situations in life. Before I become an adult, I want to learn about as much as I can, so I can make accurate statements and arguments when the topic comes up in the future. I believe experience is the greatest teacher, so that’s how I plan to become an expert on life.