A summer to remember | Teen Ink

A summer to remember

The giant orange and yellow sun gently glides downward, slowly kissing the horizon. It slips away. The sky surrounding it is pink, cream and clear blue. Towards the center of the sky it is navy going on black with a few stars scattered across the sky like freckles. I dig my toes in the warm, crumby sand and feel the individual pebbles rub against my feet. The silence in the air helps me think. My mind is racing with thoughts about summer and how it is slowly ending. Tenth grade is just around the corner. In only one week, the best summer of my life will be over and my schedule will be filled with catty school drama and homework. A cool breeze brushes my skin soothingly, signifying the day’s end. Night is unraveling. The sun disappears into the water and the only light left is a sliver of it just above the ocean. The only sound I hear is that of the ocean crashing against the shoreline.

I shut my eyes tightly and take myself back to the night at summer camp. I sit on a wooden dock at 3am, wearing PJ shorts and a tank top. It is warm and humid. I dig between the small cracks in the dock for tiny pebbles to toss in the lake and watch them bounce and sink. The sky is pitch black and filled with stars. My long wavy hair is down and I play with the ends, looking for split ends. I am interrupted by the sound of footsteps behind me. I spin around quickly to see Logan. He is tall with brown eyes and olive skin. I blush when I see him. I had always like Logan but never really got a chance to talk to him. This was it, I thought. He sits down next to me and begins with small talk. I stay pretty quiet. I never had been good with talking to boys, especially cute ones. “How did you know I was out here?” I ask.

“Everyone knows you come out here at night.” He says. My stomach does a somersault. I had always thought it had been my little secret.

“Oh,” I say surprised. After a while longer of talking about camp and summer and other stuff, he reaches over to kiss me. I close my eyes. I had never gotten kissed before. My hands get all jittery and I tense all the muscles in my body. My mind is spinning and I feel beads of sweat forming on my forehead. I hold my breath. I open one eye to see his lips pressed against mine. I feel numb. I close my eye again. I take a whiff of his ax cologne. I take it all in. My heart finally stared beating again and I relax my body. He wraps his hand around my back. He pets my hair. I feel a chill run down my spin. Everything is going perfect until a flash of light is shined in our eyes. It was the director of the camp with a flashlight. He backs away and runs. I didn’t see too much of him after that, but it was defiantly a first kiss to remember.

I am brought back to present by a beach ball hitting me in the back of the head. I turn around to see a couple of little girls in bikinis giggling and apologizing at once. I toss their ball back. I am surprised to see how the sky is completely dark. I should be getting home, I think.

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
This is amazing!

lovthslife said...

I thought this piece was wonderfully described.  Great details.  I felt like I was there.  

I would like to know a little more about Logan.  And am looking forward to hearing more of your work.  AWESOME!

shayna101 SILVER, Carlsbad, California
hey I wrote this aritcle, it is part of a novel i am working on... I am not crazy on how I ended it... if yu have any feedback for it that would be great I really would appreciate any comments, compliments, or critques... Thankyou:)