Family Smile | Teen Ink

Family Smile

By JennaP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
JennaP GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

A smile is what my family is known for. Every one of our elementary teacher tells tales of my family's children who are always smiling. We smile when we’re nervous, we smile when we’re happy, we smile when we’re anxious, we smile when we’re together.

My dad’s smile is approval. His Italian features and smiling eyes show that it is truly genuine. My mom’s smile is warm and welcoming like the smell of spring right after the winter blizzards end. My brother’s smile is one of a child who is not as innocent as he seems, but it is apparent that he is kind to every living thing. My sister’s smile is her entire face. Smiles always emerge out of every emotion that she has no matter what the occasion. My smile usually comes out at the appropriate times, sometimes not, but I tend not to overuse it. My smile passively demands the attention from those around. Most say it is genuine and real.

My entire family doesn’t go a day without smiling. Our smiles are never closed; I don’t think that we know how to smile like that. It’s as if we think that tomorrow we will lose the ability to do so. Our character shines out like the sun escaping the tight grasp of the clouds. My family is known for our smile.