December 21, 2012, The End?! | Teen Ink

December 21, 2012, The End?!

By dabomb7 BRONZE, Unalaska, Alaska
dabomb7 BRONZE, Unalaska, Alaska

Scientists have predicted several times when the world will end. They are now saying that the world will end on December 21, 2012, the winter solstice, but is it really true? Scientists predicted that the world would end in 1960, 1990, and in 2001 yet they’ve all been wrong. The Mayans say that it will end in 2012. They feel that the world ends then because we are in a lot more distress because of global warming, ice cap defrost, a lot of people dying in wars. My opinion is that the world won’t end on 2012.

I don’t think it will happen because humanity is finding ways to preserve life and peace. The world leaders made a treaty that agreed that each country would fight global warming and become Eco-friendly. Also, robots are being created to eliminate casualties in war and police situations. Furthermore, there is already support for Haiti. The situation of Earth seams very good.
Scientists researching on 2012 are so sure it will happen on 2012 because of the Mayans’ long count calendars. The Mayans long count calendars predict that the world will end on December 21, 2012 and change dramatically on December 23, 2012. The Mayans were a civilization of people that lived in Mexico. They knew math and astronomy before any other civilization, and they created calendars based on their predictions involved in their astronomy and math. I don’t think the Mayans could see so much with their astronomy because they weren’t as advanced as we are; the Mayans couldn’t have predicted events some hundreds of years into the future The Mayans made five of their long count calendars know as the five ages, but I think the world started at one point and will just keep on going. The reason they made the calendars, besides of math and astronomy, is because they believed that their gods would create one group of people and see what happened, and if they didn’t like it the gods would start all over.
Each one of calendars is called a Great Cycle. In their math, the Mayans count one, two, three; while we count on and on from one. The calendars say we are in the fifth age, or the fifth calendar and also the last. I think the Mayans were disabled by their math because they could only count and solve equations to a certain number before they fell back to one. The scientists that believe the Mayans follow the calendar as an accurate reading because the Mayans were such an advanced people at the time. The old and new Mayan people think that there won’t be any cataclysms, but it is just going to be everything will radically change, and then the world will restart on December 23, 2012 with hundreds of different features.

Scientists who believe also said the world would end on 2012 because of a famous man that lived in the 1500’s named Nostradamus. His documents of predictions were found and were made surprisingly by using the bible. He predicted the rise of Adolf Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden, the death of Queen Victoria, the death of Martin Luther King Jr., World War One, World War Two, Nine-Eleven, and December 21, 2012. Nostradamus used some sort of decoding system that computer designers have just recently created to predict events using a series of codes that took certain phrases from documents and books and connected them together to make a prediction. During his time, hobbies like trying to predict the future was considered as a very sinful thing, and anybody caught doing so were executed no matter what ethnicity, so Nostradamus did all his work in secret, despite the fact he was Christian as well as the prosecutors. He must have read the book in the bible called Revelations, in which the future is told, but only God knows when it will happen.
I believe in the same religion as Nostradamus believed in. I am against him though because in the bible in the book called Revelations; the last chapter says that none will know of the time when the events Nostradamus predicted for 2012, not even the angels or the son, otherwise known as Jesus, but only the father, which is God.
Scientists speculating 2012 have their own ideas about what will happen on the winter solstice of 2012. They think that the north and south poles will shift, there will be a magnetic field reversal of earth, the sun will align with the Milky Way, and the Earth will align with the sun, causing a disruption of the usual energy that flows through earth on December 21, 2012 at 11:11 in universal time which is also known as the Galactic Alignment. This happens every 26,000 years. Scientists have speculated that the Galactic Alignment caused the ice age ice to melt, and if predictions are right, it will cause the poles ice to melt, raise sea level, and drown the world. Also, they think along with Nostradamus, that a giant comet would hit the Earth and an increase of natural disasters will destroy it. Some scientists think there will be earth quakes and a mega volcano bigger than Krakatau. Other theories suggest that a planet called Planet X will crash or make a near contact with Earth; destroying it.
I don’t agree with these theories because there aren’t many scientists and people that believe that the Earth will end or be reborn on 2012. There hasn’t been a magnetic field reversal, pole shift, Galactic Alignment, or any contact with comets for a very long time since there were humans on earth (not including the great ice age and the melting of the ice age which probably included the Galactic Alignment). Plus, if the world is going to end in 2012; how come there haven’t been signs of anything happening, or if there are we humans aren’t looking close enough.
As I said before, I don’t think that 2012 will come now, and not for hundreds of years to come. The Mayans were behind on their math, none of the scientific phenomenon have happened in the history of the Earth, and for Nostradamus; people who believe in one god like Christens should listen to the bible. After reading my essay I hope you can make your own decision on whether you think it will happen or not.

I really didn't believe in the idea so I decided to write something to end the skepticism.

on Mar. 19 2011 at 1:24 pm
I also do not believe the world will end in 2012 because nobody can predict the exact date of the end of the world. I also dont think there is enough scientific information about what will actually happen.