"Immigrants desrve rights to" | Teen Ink

"Immigrants desrve rights to"

March 17, 2010
By Marilyn BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Marilyn BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Immigrants deserve rights


In the united states there is loneliness upon the immigrants. Immigrants experience loneliness that is cause by society. Society puts them in a place were there is no support. Society separates immigrants from everyone else for reason that immigrants have no rights in the United States for the fact that they were not born in the U.S. But that does not give the United States the right to make Immigrants feel unsupported and unwanted. Immigrants been coming to the U.S. in hopes to give there families a better life, a better way of living since the late 1800's. While men and women were coming to the United States in hopes of a better life the population kept increasing. In 1890 when the census where turn it the U.S. Discover that there was a large number of immigrants from different nationalities. Since the census The Immigrants act of 1924 was proposed. The uncertainty generated over national security during World War I made it possible for Congress to pass this Act. The act implemented a literacy test that required immigrants over 16 years old to demonstrate basic reading comprehension in any language. It also increased the tax paid by new immigrants upon arrival and allowed immigration officials to exercise more discretion in making decisions over whom to exclude. The literacy test alone was not enough to prevent most potential immigrants from entering, so members of Congress sought a new way to restrict immigration in the 1920s. So an Immigration expert and Republican Senator from Vermont William Dillingham were brought in and introduced a measure to create immigration quotas, which he set at three percent of the total population of the foreign-born of each nationality in the United States as recorded in the 1910 census. This put the total number of visas available each year to new immigrants at 350,000. Clearly the United states congress was putting everything in there power to get rid of the immigrants. The people soon began to rebel against the acts the congress was putting. Now the congressman were having concerns that “the United States could face communist infiltration through immigration and that unassimilated aliens could threaten the foundations of American life”. There way of trying to make there state look good they chose to limitation and selective immigration was the best way to ensure the preservation of national security and national interests. What harm could the people have done, so far there has not been a major harm committed by an immigrant. In fact the immigrants have made improvement for years here in the United States only that the U.S. Is in denial and refuse to take importance in it. They wash up the public with all this untruthfulness instead of what really is going, so then society look at the immigrants differently separating them from the rest. Immigrants have worked and payed there taxes, dreams of being lawyers, police man, fire mans, and doctors are being withheld from them by society. Why can they have the same rights as well. Why do they have to be solitary. Until today they stand united and fight for there rights putting loneliness aside and pride up front.