Help for the Many | Teen Ink

Help for the Many

By Yeswecansayswecan BRONZE, Highland, Utah
Yeswecansayswecan BRONZE, Highland, Utah

Africa is infamous for its medical inadequacy. AIDS and the HIV virus plague African society, destroying the lives of over a million Africans. There is little help for women there giving birth, which kills both babies and mothers. Filthy water causes people to get sick. Tribal wars bring wounds and injuries. These problems exist because of lack of education. Africans are often never taught how to prevent getting these sicknesses, hence the epidemic. These problems are some of the biggest in Africa.

Just this year Haiti was struck with a magnitude 7 earthquake. The government has estimated that between 217,000 and 230,000 people were killed along with approximately 300,000 wounded. Because of just one disaster nearly 1,000,000 are now homeless. Many are without the basic necessities they need to survive. Clean water, food, and shelter are scarce. Many are deprived of an education. Many have lost loves ones, such as a sibling, dear friend, or even their parents.

Chile was also hit by a devastating earthquake. It had a magnitude of 8.8 and killed approximately 500 people. Many are missing. The earthquake generated a blackout leaving many without electricity and aid.

We live in America, land of the free and brave. We have been afforded many luxuries. We can be charitable and help all of those in need. Even as teenagers we can help. We can donate time and money to help raise funds for reconstruction. We can put together hygiene kits to help with sanitation problems. We can donate non-perishable food items to feed the hungry. We can ultimately save a life.