Teacher of the Year | Teen Ink

Teacher of the Year

By flagtwiler GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
flagtwiler GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Sophomore year was beginning and I looked at my schedule. As I looked down the list, I realized I had
Teacher of the Year
Ms. Sharp. I heard rumors that she was crazy and spontaneous.
Walking to her classroom, at the end of the hallway, thoughts were flowing through my head. What is going to happen?
I got the courage to walk in and sit in my assigned seat. Sitting there…waiting… Class started. Ms. Sharp began class by introducing herself to the class and she explained what the class was going to be about. After the introduction, I noticed the nervousness faded away.
After the first day, I realized she wasn’t scary. She has a special way of teaching, which makes every class fun. When we were reading The Catcher and the Rye, I was struggling. I was failing the quizzes and my grade was falling. One day, I went up to her and asked if I could come in and get some extra help because I don’t understand what is going on. She said, “Sure, come on in.”
I came in during my lunch hour to get help. I listened to her talk with passion about the book. She talked with detail and she explained how it related to my life. We went over the questions together and went through the answers until I understood. She was patient with me. Ms. Sharp is one of the few that has patience with students.
Ms. Sharp helped me understood the books we read and how to perform speeches. I learned how to stand in front of a class of 25 students and talk about Autism. She encouraged me to strive for the A I desperately wanted.
Ms. Sharp cares for the well-being of her students. I was able to talk to her when I was having a bad day with my low test score or my boyfriends. I would come into her room for lunch and a group of us would watch movies with Johnny Depp. In her class, we had fun because she would make it interesting so we could learn the information better. She saw the dedication I put into my work, even if I didn’t do well on a quiz. I haven’t seen a teacher this devoted to teaching. She goes out of her way to help me and fellow students. Ms. Sharp deserves this award because she has a passion for teaching and cares about her students.