The Man | Teen Ink

The Man

By Lexi Pierce BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
Lexi Pierce BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas

The Man

Who was he? What did he want? I could tell he was following me through the fog filled streets. At first all I heard was a grumbling noise. Then I heard running, so I ran too. The fog was so thick I couldn’t see my own hand in front of my face. The only thing I could see was dim street lights. I couldn’t see the street sign but I thought I was heading toward home. I thought I heard my mom calling me but it came from behind me. I kept running without looking back. I kept running until I saw the end of the block. What street was I on? I didn’t care.

I ran into the first house I saw. It was dark but my eyes quickly adjusted. I didn’t know what room I was in but it looked like the living room. Then I saw someone walking out of a room. I thought it was a woman but I couldn’t tell. I hid behind their couch hoping they wouldn’t see me. But just when I least expected it, they turned on the lights and saw me. I found out it was a lady. She screamed at me and reached for the broom. I screamed and told her not to hit me with the broom. She did not want me in her house so I went outside and the man was gone.