The Penalty, one we all can live without. | Teen Ink

The Penalty, one we all can live without.

February 25, 2010
By Breadduckz BRONZE, San Diego, California
Breadduckz BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Whether or not the circumstances in a given scenario of a murder case are extreme or horrid, the death penalty itself should be abolished.
Murder, the intended acts to harm and/or take the life of another human being, is a horrific heart-breaking crime regardless of who is ‘pulling the trigger’, or had ‘their hand on the knives’. Killing killers is not the answer even if the United States government is holding the gun, which in this case they are. And they have no right to.

The United States government, in effort to protect the people of the constitution, have the right to arrest and sentence people to a prison term they feel is necessary. They have the right to justice, but justice is not murder. If a man is convicted to first degree murder and is sentenced to death by capital punishment, does that not make the government just as cold as the killer themselves? Alone, the execution itself costs taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars which obviously could be used to benefit America in a much more fruitful way, In Tennessee the cost of a death penalty trial(on average) is more than 48% percent the cost of a convicted individual sentenced to life in prison. As for Maryland, a death penalty case costs three times as more than life imprisonment, and ultimately 3 million dollars per execution. Why pay millions more to have an individual executed, rather than have he or she spend the rest of their life locked in a cell? Isn’t that more of a punishment? The truth lies in the statistics. California pays $137 million dollars per year solely because of capital punishment, yet it would only cost $11.5 million if California were to function without it. Whether or not we like it, those numbers start to add up, very quickly.

Pontier 2
All Americans have the right to the fourth amendment, even after they’ve committed a horrible crime, regardless of the circumstances. And the death penalty, because of its terms, clearly violates the rights of those individuals because they are still people of the constitution which forbids cruel and unusual acts of punishment. Evident that most states have adopted the method of lethal injection to carry out their executions. This method of execution is administered in three stages. The first being a sedative, than a paralyzing agent, and finally a drug that ceases the heart beat. Humane? In words, yes. However, it is just the opposite. If the drug is given incorrectly (which studies show it is often due to fidgeting or struggling) than the individual to be executed may be overcome by intense pain, paralysis, which is than accompanied by suffocation. Ultimately, a few moments of intense torture, until finally, life ends. Even in the case of Arthur Shawcross, where in 1973 he was convicted for the brutal rape and murder of two children in upstate New York. After serving a term of 15 years, he was paroled in 1988. He then started a 21 month massacre taking the lives of another 11 victims. Many believe if the death penalty had been issued the additional 11 victims would still be here today. But really, it isn’t the fault that the death penalty hadn’t been issued, why was he released so early, when his crime was brutal and against two children? Why was he eligible for parole if the average sentence for the rape and/or murder of a child is 20 years to life? It is not wrong that the death penalty was not issued; it’s sadly due to the generosity of the court, and the way in which his entire case progressed. To many, his sentence was ‘minor’.
And sadly, what else can America possibly do to bring back the lives of the innocent ones she has already lost due to capital punishment? The voices of the innocent who have already been falsely executed, who were later found out to be guilty, cant plea out to abolish the Death Penalty. They cannot beg to put a stop to the ‘penalty’ that had taken their lives in vain, in attempt to save others from suffering from the same fate they had. They cannot because their luck has sadly already run out. However hope still lies in those of the living, those who still can put a stop to the death penalty. "I cannot support a system which, in its administration, has proven so fraught with error and has come so close to the ultimate nightmare, the state's taking of innocent life... “Says Governor George Ryan, of Illinois. With the Innocent execution toll rising, it is becoming impossible to enforce the death penalty without it claiming an innocent life. The penalty on paper may seem perfect, but once

Pontier 3
enforced it has one too many flaws.
The death penalty itself is responsible for much dismay in the states. From the contribution to the national debt, the constitutions guarantees to all ceasing, and maybe the most saddening, the deaths of the innocent. Their cries and their families cry. I believe there is only one solution to the problem. No, not altering the existing capital punishment in attempt to change its standards to be more fitting and fair. But instead, ridding America of the penalty itself. Ridding it of all possibilities of innocent executions. Ridding it of debt, and economic falls. I believe we all can agree that the death penalty is one we all can live- without.