The Greek Gods | Teen Ink

The Greek Gods

February 17, 2010
By Stelio Ropokis BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Stelio Ropokis BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever heard of Greek mythology? I’m sure you have! One of the largest parts of Greek mythology is the Greek gods. The main Greek gods are the Olympians. The twelve Olympians are Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Hera, Ares, Athena, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hermes, Artemis, and Hephaestus, who ruled Ancient Greece.

Zeus was the supreme ruler of the gods. He is the lord of the sky, the rain god. His weapon is a thunderbolt which he throws at those who displease him. He is married to Hera. Hera is the protector of marriage and takes special care of married women.
Next, Poseidon is the brother of Zeus. He is the ruler of the sea. Hades is another brother of Zeus. Hades is the lord of the underworld, ruling over the dead. He is like our modern-day devil. Hestia is a sister of Zeus. She is the virgin goddess. She plays no part in myths. She is also the goddess of hearth.
Now, Ares is the son of Zeus and Hera. Ares was extremely disliked by both parents. He is the god of war. He is considered very murderous and bloodstained, but also a coward. One of Zeus’s most famous daughters is Athena. In myths, it is said she sprang full-grown from his forehead. She is the goddess of the city, wisdom, handicrafts, and agriculture. Apollo is the son of Zeus and Leto. He is the god of music. Artemis is another child of Zeus and Leto. She is the wild one. She is a virgin goddess and the goddess of chastity. Another one of the most famous gods is Aphrodite. She is the daughter of Zeus and Dione. She is the goddess of love, desire, and beauty.
Zeus has a messenger who is also a god. His name is Hermes. He is the fastest god. He is the god of thieves and commerce. Hephaestus is known to be the only god to be physically ugly. He is the god of fire and the forge.
There is much to learn about Greek mythology. There are many more gods and also many myths. Now that you have a taste of it, you can decide if it’s worth learning about or not!


The author's comments:
Read it if you want to learn about the greek gods!