Flappers in the 1920's | Teen Ink

Flappers in the 1920's

By AmandaD BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
AmandaD BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

An important part of history was “the flappers” in the 1920’s, also known as the roaring twenties “The Flapper” was a young woman in a knee high chemise (a dress designed to hang straight from the shoulders, loosely at the waist, and sometimes more tightly around the hip) smoking a cigarette, dancing the Charleston, and swinging her long beads. She smoked, she drank, she danced, she voted, she cut her hair, wore makeup, and went to parties. The word “Flapper” was used to describe young girls who had not yet entered womanhood.
The image of the flapper was, to some people, shocking. Almost every article of clothing was trimmed down to make movement, like dancing, easier. The new, energetic dances of the jazz age added to the roar of the new time, and required women to be able to move around freely.

“The Flapper” began after World War I, when women and men were both anxiously avoiding returning to society’s rules. Before the war, Women did not date; they waited until a proper young man formally interested her with marriage intentions. But after many men had died in the war, it left many young women without possible suitors. That was when women decided they were not willing to waste their young lives- they were going to enjoy life to the fullest.

My Social Studies Project (well part of it)