An Asian Mom | Teen Ink

An Asian Mom MAG

In the summer, you would never see me wearing a tank top without something over it. That’s how my mom used to clothe me. I’m used to it now, and it’s okay with me.
She is very strict and has those “Asian mom" qualities. My mom is mainly concerned that her children are good, proper, obedient and studious. Fashion has never been important to her. Wearing baggy pants, big flares or even high heels is not a possibility.
My mom used to go shopping with me because I wasn’t allowed to go with my friends. She would say, “It’s dangerous for young girls to hang around," but I knew the reason was because she was afraid I would get closer to my friends, which would lead to less studying. She wanted me to concentrate on schoolwork, and not be interested in my outfits or hair.
I, however, had different ideas. I wanted to wear the pants my friends were wearing. When my mom and I went shopping, we would never come home with new clothes because neither of us would like what the other had chosen. This began to bother my mom. She also felt badly that I was not able to tell her my feelings.
So, my mom allowed me to buy big, flared pants. I was so happy and couldn’t wait to go out and wear them. Whenever I tried them on, my mom would grin and make nasty comments. Finally, I got tired of listening to them and I yelled at her. She got mad, grabbed scissors from the kitchen, and came running toward me to cut the leg of my pants. The rip was very big - I couldn’t wear them anywhere - and I cried in my room.
The next day when I returned from school, my mom held a pair of pants in her hands. She had made my jeans into Capri pants. The rip was below the knee so it couldn’t be seen. She said she was sorry and gave me the pants.
I still have that pair of jeans somewhere. I look at them and laugh hysterically with my mom. She is less strict now and doesn’t mind my clothing anymore. I think it’s because I’ve grown up. When I see the pants now, they’re kind of weird and ugly. I can’t believe I wanted pants that were so funky looking. I guess I’m following in the footsteps of my mom.

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

I really enjoyed reading this piece. I could relate to a lot of the things you were saying. Its actually what I'm going through now with my mother. 

You are good at keeping readers in mind, and kept it short and simple. You are a great writer, and probably mother too!