Marijuana | Teen Ink

Marijuana MAG

I believe it causes depression, lack of motivation, and mental addiction. This is just a thimbleful of the bad effects of one of the most commonly used drugs among our nation's youth. I should know: I'm a user trying to quit.

Since the age of twelve, I have smoked marijuana regularly. I feel that over the last five years it has affected many things in my life for the worse, including my home life, schoolwork, and decision-making. There were times when I smoked so often that it was necessary for me to "light up" before going to bed in order to fall asleep, and then I'd smoke once again upon awakening. I saw this as a waste of money, time and brain cells. It was coming to the point where I was feeling unmotivated and stupid. I'd seen my grades decline, and my relationship with my family has definitely been eroding. Along with all this, what started off as casual marijuana smoking has led to my abuse of other drugs. Many people refer to this as the stepping-stone effect.

Now after telling you all this, you may be wondering why I still smoke it. My reply is simple: it's become such a regular thing to me that it is a part of my lifestyle, and I can't easily end it. I have definitely slowed down my use significantly, but it's very hard for me to stop altogether.

I wish that people could look at this and see how what some see as a rather docile drug has affected me. Imagine what the harsher drugs like cocaine and heroin could do to a lifestyle. If children and adolescents could understand how a drug user feels about himself or herself, then maybe it would influence their decision not to start. As children in elementary school, we receive drug education, but we learn only that drugs are bad, not why they are bad, and not what they do to us. fl

on May. 6 2014 at 2:48 pm
claire22798 BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota
I smoke regularly. My grades and depression have improved. I've stopped losing an unhealthy amount of weight. I stop every year in the fall for cheerleading, and it's never been difficult. So this is merely one example of the affects.