The Aspiring Celebrity And Wbz Radio | Teen Ink

The Aspiring Celebrity And Wbz Radio MAG

I've wanted to be a screenwriter ifor as long as I can remember. I've wanted it more than I've ever wanted anything else. Somebody must have spiked my baby formula with a dose of maturity; I've never dreamt of becoming a ballerina and I've never fantasized about life as a firefighter. Maybe once, for an incredibly foolish moment, I thought that becoming a veterinarian might be interesting. Thank God my guardian angel allergist set me straight. I've since discovered that writing is a lot more fun than sneezing. So, instead of tossing toe shoes in my backpack for after-school dance classes, I packed away a dictophone to record any extemporaneous thoughts for movie premises. And for Halloween, while my peers donned goblin costumes and pointy witch hats, I masqueraded as Woody Allen. I've been forever fixated on fame. I've got stars in my eyes where my pupils should be.

So, to exercise my unrelenting need for stardom, I've worked for the past eight months at WBZ studios, in Boston. It is there where I write exciting movie reviews, conduct revealing interviews with persons of public interest, and report blazing hot news stories. The radio show to which I give generously of my elocutionary and literary talents is called "Kid Company," and it airs every Sunday night at 6 p.m.

"Kid Company" is hosted and broadcast by kids in and around the Boston area. Some of the kids involved in the show's production are aspiring celebrities like myself - writers, directors and actors. Others are just bubbly adolescents and young adults who simply think that it's fun to take part in a radio show. Whatever the case, there is one thing that all "Kid Company" crew members love to do - TALK! And boy, do they do it well! Whether it's an interview with child psychologist Dr. Benjamin Spock, or a prominent sports figure like Larry Bird, or a news story covering Saddam Hussein and the Middle East, "Kid Company" reporters never miss a beat!

I've been involved with "Kid Company" for almost a year now, and let me tell you, as of yet, not a moment of my work has been dull. Every week I enter a studio where red lights are flashing next to signs that read AOn The Air' and electronic equipment is blinking, buzzing and humming in preparation for taping. Radio and television personalities are busy reviewing scripts for their upcoming shows and crews are at work checking lights and microphones. And all the while I sit in one tiny recording studio scanning my own script and exercising my vocal cords in preparation for filing my latest "Kid Company" creation. I cough and clear my throat and take a quick sip of water. I glance over what I have written, fixing any grammatical errors that may be present in my work (a rarity, I assure you) and get set to record. After two or three (or ten or eleven) takes, my work is complete. It's then edited and spliced and prepped for broadcast. (We leave all that boring stuff to the adults.)

Every time that I hear one of my stories broadcast, I can't wait to do another. I get such a kick out of hearing myself on the radio. I imagine that it's almost as good as seeing yourself on TV. (Of course, if I'm ever lucky enough for that to happen, I might strike that comment.)

One of my favorite assignments thus far has been the interview that I conducted with Christa Larson, Walt Disney's newest pre-teen singing sensation. I found the experience exceptionally fulfilling, especially when I received myriad compliments from Christa's manager, one of Walt Disney's top talent consultants. It made me feel very proud to have my work praised by a working professional. For an aspiring screenwriter and director, meeting a budding young talent and her manager gave me great insight into what life in the limelight is truly like. Besides making me incredibly jealous, young Christa enlightened me on how rigorous, demanding and unglamorous show business can actually be. I had such a fun time talking with Christa about her career that, despite the young actress's warnings, I came out of the recording studio even more determined than before to make it big!

My work at WBZ has definitely been an exceptional opportunity. Not only has it allowed me to put my interests and talents to work, but it has offered me chances to meet with some extraordinary and interesting people. So, although my stint on the radio is not exactly a spot on "Siskel and Ebert" or "NBC Nightly News," it's a start. After all, getting one's foot in the door is half the work.

So, remember, tune in to "Kid Company" every Sunday at 6 p.m. There are always fascinating stories to hear which have been written and reported by kids for kids. But don't just listen, respond too! Call in your questions and comments. You, too, could be heard live on the air, by all of your friends, on the only radio show in Boston designed especially for kids just like you, WBZ's very own "Kid Company."n