Awkward!! | Teen Ink

Awkward!!

By sagiegirl SILVER, Houston, Texas
sagiegirl SILVER, Houston, Texas

Can you live without technology? Some people may say no or that they would die, but others may say yes. The people who say yes might think of spending with friends or family to pass off their time. Studies in Nie’s and Hillygus’ article show that people who do not use the Internet spends a lot more time with their friends and even more with their families. People who use technology are thought to be social awkward, or separated from the world, but other people may think that technology is helping them united with people like them. Well I believe that those who use technology excessively are socially separated from the world.

Some people listen the their iPods or MP3s to get away from the world or their troubles. Some people think that a way to get away from their troubles is to go to their own world or people just may think “the main appeal of the iPod is that is preoccupies you so you are no longer obligated to interact with the uncontrollable factors of everyday life” (Song 1). This just means that they might block others out that could potentially be their friend. People outside of their world may thing that it is rude to try to talk to them while they listening to their music, and the last thing people want is the look stupid.

Online schooling could also detach kids from the world outside their home and people say that they do not get the social skill needed to go into the world. They say that they do not learn to “share everything, play fair, don’t hit people … wash your hands before you eat, and, of course, flush” (Postman 1). I have a friend that was supposed to come to our school, but her parents could not afford it. So now, she is doing online schooling and she never leaves her home unless she goes to work with her mom. She never meets anyone new or go to any school dances; she is just isolated with her computer.
People may also think that since you do not see the other person you can be whatever or whoever you want to be. “The Internet can foster openness, self-confidence, and a greater sense of ease and comfort in dealing with others” they may think that they say or do whatever they want, and just go back in to their shell when they are in a crowd (Coget and Yutaka 1). However, people might get frustrated with you because you are like a hero in a virtual world, but when it comes to the real world, you are nobody. People may think that since you do not talk to them in everyday like, you think you are too good for them, but really, you are just a shy and quiet person.

People may argue that music brings people together, people with the same taste in music. They may say, “iPods does more to unite people than it does to divide them” (Harris 1). In Harris’ article Lisa and Jonny, the maker of Playlist say they have parties or get together and listen to their music. Yes, music can bring you together, but what about the people who do not like the music you listen to are you just going to leave them out of your world. Making these groups is like making cliques. Harris did not take into account everyone he used selective sampling to make every thing sound better.

Kids may like online schooling because they get the one on one attention that they need. The parents might think that it is easier on the kids to be in a quiet surrounding getting the attention they need, but do the parents think of the future. How will their kids survive the world outside if they have no social skill or even if they cannot tolerate loud people? Using technology for a kid at an early age can affect them later on, too. They might get addicted to technology and love playing video games since they are always at home and never have to go to an actual school. People have also told use that using technology can kill some of our brain cell and in Affonso’s article, he tells us “that Internet use leads to small but statistically significant increases in misery and loneliness and a decline in overall psychological well-being” (1).

People may say that since you can be one person on you computer, you can be that in real life. However, people do not act that way. They use the Internet as a cover for their identity. They know that if others do not see you, you can do what ever you want. You can be a superhero or you can even act as the opposite gender, the other people will not know. They do not even know you.

In the end, I still think that people who use technology excessively are socially separated from the world and why should we care about this? Well they world might soon be filled with a bunch of people in their own bubble and so what, the people are isolated. Well, some people might like people to talk to but they might have no one to talk to since every one is in their own world and they might think AWKWARD!