ACT testing | Teen Ink

ACT testing

By Maura Falk SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Maura Falk SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

This past weekend the first round of ACT testing took place for this school year. The test was open to all students regardless of grade. AHS’s ACT average composite scores outdid last year’s 10 year high of 24.2 by moving to 24.3.

The AHS composite score remained above the state and national averages by 1.7 and 2.9 points respectively. AHS guidance counselor Mr. Ward said, “Approximately 75% of our kids take the test. The test is open to everyone and anyone.”

With so many students taking the exam, those high scores demonstrate the, specifically, seniors’ high level of preparation for the ACT. By taking the ACT their senior year, they are better prepared because of their complete core course loud. Taking a rigorous core course load of at least four years of English and three years of math, social studies, and science can improve scores in the four subject areas by at least two points.
There is good news for students who didn’t score as high as they would’ve liked, there are no restrictions on how many times the exam can be taken. Statistics shows 55% of students who choose to retake the exam improve their overall composite score.

To register for the ACT, students can sign up online at www.actstudent.org or pick up a registration packet in the guidance office. When signing up for the ACT, students have the option of taking a written portion at any of the national testing location for a slight additional cost. Not all colleges require the written portion though, so students should talk to their guidance counselor about the best testing option.

The ACT exam is a major qualifying factor for Midwest colleges. Students should be well prepared. To prep for the test in advance, there are a variety of different prep courses; one is available at AHS in fall and spring. One of the main resources students should use is the practice test booklet that can be picked up in the guidance office, so students know what kind of questions to expect. Mr. Ward says learning strategies to answer the ACT questions is the best way to prepare for the test. On the actual day of the exam, students should be sure to get a good night’s sleep, eat a nutritious breakfast, and wear comfortable clothing.