Obama Goes to Copenhagen | Teen Ink

Obama Goes to Copenhagen

By Emily Nikolaus SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Emily Nikolaus SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Throughout his presidency, President Barack Obama has dealt with his share of controversy. Besides the latest debates involving health care and his address to students, the president’s upcoming trip to Copenhagen, Denmark, is now drawing more debate and criticism.

This Friday the International Olympic Committee will be voting for the city that will host the 2016 Olympics. Chicago is competing against Madrid, Tokyo, and Rio de Janeiro for the right to host.

While some political critics feel Obama is wasting his time and should be focusing his efforts more towards the war in Iraq and the recession, others feel that Obama would not be taking time off if Chicago did not stand a chance in winning the vote.

“He’s thinking of what’s best for the American people,” says White House advisor Valerie Jarett according to CNN news.

On his opposing views, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele told a CNN reporter, “While this trip is nice, it is not necessary for the President,”

While both sides make valid points, it is undeniable that hosting the 2016 Olympics will have a largely beneficial effect on Chicago’s economy. Whether or not people are in favor of or against Obama’s trip to Copenhagen, it seems that the United States would benefit financially from Chicago hosting the Olympics.