Spread of H1N1 | Teen Ink

Spread of H1N1

By EmmaReynolds SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin
EmmaReynolds SILVER, Delafield, Wisconsin

The H1N1 virus, commonly known as the Swine Flu, has been a concern at AHS for over seven months.

Despite our efforts to stop the spread of Swine Flu, more cases have recently started appearing within the past two months. Kettle Morraine Middle School had over 250 cases of students with flu-like symptoms, and other confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus. Recently, Hartland South Elementary School, with over 40% of students absent with flu-like symptoms and five confirmed cases of H1N1, closed for three days. This is one of 15 schools in the state of Wisconsin to close.

Symptoms of the flu include fever (100 degrees Fahrenheit, 37.8 degrees Celsius, or greater), cough, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, and feeling very tired. Some may also experience vomiting.

There is not an absentee percentage in order for the school to close. Administrators will close school when they feel as though the flu symptoms are taking over campuses and spreading quickly.

According to Flu Tracker, the state of Wisconsin has 9,312 confirmed/probable cases of Swine Flu. But AHS, as of October 16th, 2009, has eight reported cases of H1N1 influenza virus. Staff is encouraging students and teachers to stay home if they have any flu-related symptoms, therefore slowing the spread of Swine Flu. Flu-related symptoms include, cough, sore throat, and fever.

Arrowhead has 1% of students missing due to flu-related illness. Yet, if you listen and look around classrooms and hallways, the bulk of the student body has been infected.
According to AHS's Nurse, Kristi Kirk, “To stay healthy, students should consider washing their hands with soap and water, or hand sanitizer, before and after they eat lunch. Do not share drinks or eating utensils with anyone, and cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing. Also, dispose of your own Kleenex’s and stay home for at least 24 hours if you have flu viruses. These are little steps we all can take to make Arrowhead a healthier environment for everyone.”

Many concerned parents and staff members have brought the seriousness of this virus to all of our attention. Attendance Receptionist, Debbie Brummer said, “More kids are out with flu-like symptoms, but not necessarily H1N1. But I’ve definitely seen more kids leaving school because they’re sick.”

For the safety of the students, the school is considering all potential outcomes of the spread of the virus.