From an Artist’s Perspective | Teen Ink

From an Artist’s Perspective

By Dan Chimis BRONZE, River Forest, Illinois
Dan Chimis BRONZE, River Forest, Illinois

People’s values are shaped greatly by the family and surroundings of their youth. I myself come from a family not only of authors and readers, but people who encourage the full use of the imagination. While some may consider power as their highest value, I hold creativity as my highest and most precious value. Power often leads to abuse and harm of other people, but creativity is most often a positive force in society. If power was not misused, the world would be a safer and saner place. If creativity were missing, our world would be bland and depressing.
When I first used my imagination, I took advantage of my limitless creativity. Since I can possibly remember, I have been drawing pictures at any opportunity, capturing anything that popped into my mind. Without creativity, great minds such as Davinci and Edison would never have been able to design their inventions that shape society today. Without creativity, artists such as Rodan and Picasso would never have become legends of art. If creativity never existed, our modern world would be devoid of so many necessities and entertainments that we use each and every day.

Most people might describe science as a fact-based, concrete subject, without any creativity involved. In reality, certain major branches of science would never even exist without creativity. The most prominent example is inventing. Inventing a new item or idea is literally drawing a picture, the parts and pieces in place of the pencil lead or pen ink, and the paper representing the limitless reaches of modern science. Virtually everything we use today would not exist if someone had not had the imagination to design the item. If the Wright Brothers lived without creativity, their idea of a machine that could leave the ground and soar through the air would never have “taken flight.” Creativity not only makes new inventions, but improves upon old ones. When a product has a flaw that is difficult to remedy, designers must use their imagination and creativity to solve the problem. Designers also update and improve products to appeal to customers more.

Art and creativity are so intertwined, that the union between them is so strong, and even symbiotic, it's unbreakable. Art is literally the expression of one's creativity through a certain medium. No matter how you think of art, there is no way it could exist without creativity. The word "art" can be used to describe hundreds of different media, not just a painting or a sculpture. It could be a dance or a song; even a movie could be considered art. What these pieces of art do that is so significant is that they provoke emotion in the viewer. While it would be foolish to suggest that our world would be emotionless without the creativity of art, I will say this: the world would not have the same control of, understanding, and spectrum of emotions that we have today without the emotion-inducing property of art, and that wouldn't exist without creativity.

While the world today would lack scientific and artistic breakthroughs without creativity, power can be potentially dangerous, even deadly, if valued above all else. As Lord Acton observed in the nineteenth century, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."
In small amounts, when used by a good manager of a company or a leader, power is helpful. In the case of a military institute or rescue workers, good leadership can employ power wisely to save lives. However, when given unlimited power, many people will exploit it and use it inappropriately. The worst effect of unlimited power is the addiction that ensues. Once people have been given a bit of power, they will work to gain more and more of it, and work even harder to keep it to themselves. Just like a physical drug, power is deadly. Although the effects on the addicts are bad, the effects on the people around that person are even worse. Families can be torn apart, people can be injured or killed, and even entire countries can fall apart because of one power-hungry fool. The most recognizable example of this lust for power is Adolf Hitler. During WWII, Hitler wanted not only to make Germany the greatest country in the world, he wanted to expand and create a perfect world devoid of any "defects." Calling Germany the "master race," he set out to eliminate all the people that were not of Aryan descent. Because of his misuse of power, Hitler decimated Germany's economy, which required decades of work to recover. Besides the economic failure, Hitler also ruined Germany's name. After Hitler's reign, Germany's legacy was that of a maniacal tyrant who wanted to eradicate all people on the basis that they were different.

In summary, power is probably the most difficult thing to keep in check for a ruler or leader, and when abused or used incorrectly, the entire world can be damaged as an outcome. Many people believe power is beneficial, but this is only true when kept in check. However, creativity is a value that sustains, enhances, and improves the world.