Heart Diseases | Teen Ink

Heart Diseases

Imagine the body going numb and no feeling in the fingers, then feeling immense amounts of pain that is so unbearable that would make someone rather pull out their own hair out; and then complete blackness, and BAM they are dead. The unhealthy habits of modern day humans will cause Heart Diseases because they do not exercise enough which will cause a shorter life span for each generation. Some Heart diseases are also generic such as: Cardiomyopathy, Myocarditis, Pericarditis, and heart failure. Other heart diseases that are possible to get are Heart Murmurs, and Cardiac Arrhythmia.

Cardiomyopathy; The genetic disease of the heart muscle. This disease has a major effect on the structure and function of a heart. A book; The Heart the Living Pump, goes on to say about the disease,

Disease of the heart muscle takes the generic name cardiomyopathy. Disease that
`
directly alters the structure or function of heart muscle is called primary

cardiomyopathy. It can take two principal forms – hypertrophic or congestive. In

the hypertrophic variety, the muscle fibers composing the bulk of the heart wall

begin to thicken. Sometime, too, the septum swells, impeding body. The

thickened wall can also distort a leaflet of the mitral valve, causing it to leak.

Swelling of the septum is believed to be hereditary. Symptoms of this ailment

include shortness of breath, dizziness and heart murmur. Cardiac Arrhythmia,

malfunction the heart’s electrical system, can also develop (98).
As the quote says, signs of this disease are shortness of breath, dizziness, and heart murmur.

A heart murmur is the weakness in the heart wall to one of the four chambers, allowing blood to seep through causing the blood to never be able to completely drain out of the chamber. When the blood can not completely drain out of the chamber it is like drowning somebody very slowly. The Heart the Living Pump goes on to say about heart murmurs,

an abnormal sound which can have four separate cadences, depending on the

phase of the cardiac cycle and the valve affected (100).
The severity of the heart murmur depends on the chamber it is in; the two left chambers (ventricle and atrium) are the worst to have a heart murmur in.

Pericarditis and Myocarditis, diseases from inflammation of heart muscle. Your heart requires a minimum of four-hundred quarts of blood a day but the body has abundant defenses; the blood vessels and lymphatic system drains away any toxic or harmful fluids. Then Myocarditis according to The Heart the Living Pump,

Causes fatigue and can rouse arrhythmia. In extreme cases, the disease can cause

ventricular failure (100).
Pericarditis and Myocarditis are serious diseases that may cause heart failure due to inflammation of the muscle.

Cardiac Arrhythmia, the short-circuiting of the heart’s electrical system. This is the abnormal heart beat rate due to interference in the heart muscle preventing electrical frequencies to go through causing heart block. Many sources go on to say,

Heart block is a question of degree. It can be intermittent, in which case every

second or third impulse will pass through the AV node. Or it can be complete. In

this case, the ventricles may eventually tire of waiting for an impulse that does not

come and begin to contract on their own, usually at a slower rate than the atria.

This phenomenon is called “ventricular escape” (103).

Heart diseases may be genetic or may be received in a human’s lifetime, for this reason we should be careful with our eating habits, exercising habits, and other habits. What we do in this lifetime may affect the health of our children. So be healthy or we alone may even be the cause for human extinction.