Meeting Leroy Butler | Teen Ink

Meeting Leroy Butler

January 11, 2010
By Emily Nikolaus SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Emily Nikolaus SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Last Friday, my school’s marketing classes and DECA held Marketing Nights at the girls’ basketball game.

In past years, Marketing Night has been known for its prizes and giveaways students can win. This year an additional incentive was provided; the chance to see former Packer player, Leroy Butler.

Even though Butler is best known as the creator of the Lambeau Leap, his attendance at the game was to raise awareness on a more solemn topic. The night’s theme was Breast Cancer Awareness for which Butler is a well-known advocate.
The Leroy Butler Foundation’s goal is to “help women who are going through breast cancer treatment to obtain the assistance they need to focus on the job of healing verses the financial impact to their families.” which is stated in the foundation’s mission statement

The chance to meet the Packer legend, however, came with a price. Sponsors who donated between $1,000 to $2,500 were given the V.I.P. passes that were essential to any interaction with Butler. The only person to receive a V.I.P. pass without a hefty donation was DECA president and organizational leader for the Marketing Nights, senior Allison .

“Meeting Leroy Butler is definitely one of the perks of being president,” said Allison . “He was very courteous when I introduced myself, and I think having him there was one of the reasons the game was packed.”

The next Marketing Night will be this Friday for the boys’ basketball game.