Love Your Parents | Teen Ink

Love Your Parents

January 11, 2010
By dcbrocks BRONZE, Houston, Texas
dcbrocks BRONZE, Houston, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was only two years old, no recollection of what was going on, and I had nothing to do about it. This morning was the morning my dad walked out on my mom, my sister, and I. My sister remembers it like it was yesterday. In a way I am glad that I was not there to experience it, but I also wish I could have been there so that I could have done something to stop it. Twelve years later I am stuck in my room, wondering, “What could I have done, what happened that night, why did everything end up how it did?” I sat in my room crying for hours on end. This happened almost on a daily basis for about a month while I searched for answers. It was always the same thing, come home from school, sit in my room, and cry. The tears ran down my face like a puddle of water on the grass after it rained that slowly dripped onto the concrete sidewalk. Every morning I remember waking up wondering, “Is today going to be different? Will anything change and make this day better than the other day? Or even the day before that?” I felt like I was at a dead end. When I started high school my class got to go on a trip with all of the freshman class to get to know each other. At this camp, I found God. At the sound of any scripture I just felt so at peace. Especially when we read and talked about John 3:16, it felt like I was walking on water and nothing could make me fall and drowned. Just thinking about no matter what you do God will always love you and to also know that there is a better place to go after you die. It doesn’t just end, but you get to live with God forever and that must be amazing. I became a true Christian on this trip and life has just been awesome from that day on. My dad now has a wife, three kids, and calls maybe once a year. None of that matters anymore though because I have found my father, my Lord, and my savior. The Lord tells us to love our neighbors and love our parents unconditionally. I know that somewhere deep down inside, my dad still loves me. You know what, even if he doesn’t, I still love my dad. After all, I wouldn’t be here without my dad. I also love my mom more than anything in the whole world. She has done so much for me and I am very thankful for that. Even though my dad has caused me so much pain in the past, I am willing to forgive him. I love my parents.