What to Say about JSA

Many students at Arrowhead don’t have a clear idea what JSA (Junior Statesmen of America) is. Next to the enormity of the clubs like Key Club, which has over 150 participants, JSA is relatively small. So what is JSA? Is it a debate team? A nerd squad? A cult?

“I think they just debate stuff,” says junior and non-JSA member Carly. “And they go to Washington D.C.”

It is, however, something different. JSA allows students the freedom to speak their minds without the fear of being cut down or judged. Important issues are discussed, evaluated, and agreed upon. When the occasional disagreement occurs, meetings are fueled by fervor and heated debate (all in good fun, of course).

“JSA gets students thinking,” says junior and JSA member Alex. “It really awakens people to the world around them.”
Members of JSA can participate in three conventions held throughout the year: fall state in Madison, winter congress in Washington D.C., and spring state in Chicago. At the conventions, students amass from all over the Midwest and debate topics regarding politics and other important events. If a student is voted best speaker at one of the debates, he or she wins a golden gavel.
Meetings are held every other Wednesday in room 162 under the supervision of Tim Tower and presidential guise of Angelo Porchetta. Students can join by coming to meetings and paying the $3.00 membership fee.