That One Question. | Teen Ink

That One Question.

December 9, 2009
By Anonymous

You sit, staring at that one question. Answer. The one that will haunt you until the test is over and you can check the answer in your notes; when you will want to scream because, sure enough, you really did know it.
The one question you forgot to study anything about. It hits you from left field and smacks you in the face. You want to say, “Wait, trick question because you never talked about this”, until you remember that day when you drew hearts and people with wings instead of writing notes or listening. You want to say, “Mr. Teacher, you know I know this but…I don’t.” So you sit quietly and make a mess of your mental notes from class and from studying in hopes that you will find something to spark your memory.
That one question that you think you can’t possibly know the answer to and then, aftering turing in your test, realize that you knew the answer all along as it meanders into your head about 3 minutes too late. You want to get up and ask for your test back, but you know that your teacher will look at you like your’re crazy.
The one question that makes you grit your teeth because you know that it will end up being the difference between an A and a B.
That one question.


The author's comments:
I wrote this after taking a test and thinking about all of the days where tests occupy my mind.