The Inovation Speeding Up the World | Teen Ink

The Inovation Speeding Up the World

December 10, 2009
By Kayla Nix BRONZE, Pueblo West, Colorado
Kayla Nix BRONZE, Pueblo West, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Just as modern mass production requires the standardization of commodities, so the social process requires standardization of man, and this standardization is called equality.” Erich Fromm. Mass production gave thousands of hard working citizens employment opportunities that enabled them to provide for their families. Mass production brought many useful benefits to the general public. The most efficient benefit was the ability to increase the amount of production while decreasing the amount of work, and cost. The commencement of mass production proved to be worthwhile and was the beginning to a more efficient way of life. Since mass production has played an intricate role in both war and technology, the products created from mass production have continued to evolve over time.
The creators of mass production sought to increase manufacturing based on necessary principles such as the use of interchangeable parts, large scale production, and the assembly line. The affects of mass production proved to be helpful during the wars. The affects supported businesses, employed workers, and strengthened the economy. Mass production promoted ideas that helped support jobs for economic stability. Mass production’s success is attributed to its creators; Henry Ford, Richard Arkwright, Henry Maudslay, Eli Whitney, Samuel Colt, and Cyrus McCormick. The workers at the factories and the citizens around the world were fortunate to experience the benefits of mass production. Mass production was first introduced in the eighteenth century, but did not make its complete impact on the world until the twentieth century. It is clear to see that since the conception of mass production, many people have benefited.

Thomas Blanchard, an inventor, created machines that helped with the production of rifles and muskets. His inventions were crucial during the war and gave factory workers numerous jobs. Thomas Blanchard was a self taught tinkerer whose inventions helped in the making of mass production. One of Thomas Blanchard’s inventions was the Blanchard Automated Lathe. The Lathe was constructed to turn Musket Barrels, with a uniform external finish from end to end, by the combination of one single, self directing operation. Notwithstanding about three inches of the barrel at the breech is partly cylindrical and partly with flat sides, both of them were cut by this machine, which ingeniously changed to a vibrating motion as it approached the breech. The Lathe has been modified to modern day times, and is still used today in the national armories as well as in England. The modern day Lathe is used in making musket stalks, such as cutting the cavity for the lock, barrel, ramrod, butt plates, and mountings. It is also used to apply great varieties of objects such as busts, shoe lasts, handles, and spikes. Thomas Blanchard was a man whose inventions paved the way for mass production in the eighteenth century.
The assembly line was created to produce products at a faster and more efficient rate.
An immense example of the importance of the assembly line was the production of the Model T invented by Henry Ford. During the production of the Model T, the assembly line changed the production time from fourteen man hours to three man hours to complete a car. “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” (Henry Ford) Military organizations had a great demand for large-scale uniform products, such as weapons. During the twentieth century, weapons for the war were one of the greatest products produced on the assembly line. Because of the effectiveness for the business, the need for interchangeable parts became increasingly demanding. When a part of a product was damaged, it could be replaced with an identical part without having to produce the entire product again. This proved to be cost effective for both the consumer and the producer. The assembly line was not only beneficial to the military, but it became important to the American household. With the help of electricity, times saving household appliances were invented. The advancement of technology led to the invention of the electric stove, irons, vacuum cleaners, washers, dryers, and dishwashers. War and technology in the twentieth century produced many changes and advancements that led to an easier way of life.
Just In Time productions (JIT) was a simple yet effective method of producing manufactured goods. There were many benefits to using JIT production. The products were produced on a need basis. The production had a detailed schedule to ensure that the precise amount of manufactured goods was created. The greatest benefit of JIT production was its ability to help keep expenditures down to a minimum. Since products were produced on a need basis, there was less waste and there was no need to store the extra product in a storage bin. This benefited the company by reducing their rent for the storage facility. With the introduction of computers, products were produced at a more rapid rate. The production flow of products were becoming more automated due to the cost and precision involved. Due to the rapid pace of innovation, there is a constant demand for newer and faster products and applications. Mass production has changed from its original meaning. Production was once based on a need basis. Now, production is based on discrete consumer choice, competitive product strategy, and pricing. Just in Time Productions in the twenty-first century continued to make advancements in war and technology that made production easier for all involved.

Through the centuries, mass production has proven to be a necessity for the growth of products and the economy. During the eighteenth through the twenty-first centuries, war and technology have produced many benefits for the economy and the citizens. Numerous people and inventions have contributed to the advancements that so many have benefited from. Throughout each century, the need for advancements in technology continues to be a priority. Each generation of consumers eagerly awaits for the next “Eli Whitney” to surface.
?

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece to address how important mass production has been throughout the world.