letter | Teen Ink

letter

November 24, 2009
By Joy Lee SILVER, Osceola, Wisconsin
Joy Lee SILVER, Osceola, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mom, whom I love so much,

It has been a long time since I wrote a letter to you, but it does not mean that I do not love you. Of course, I love you as much as you love me, and I miss you so much!

How are you? I am very good now. Sometimes, it is hard for me to live without you because I miss you so much. However, I am getting used to my new life in the USA, and I really enjoy having a wonderful time with my host family and many friends. The first time, I was a little bit worried about discrimination because I look different from them. However, it was unnecessary to worry about it. They treat me so well, and we all are good friends, so I really appreciate you that you gave me such a great opportunity to learn about a different country. I will do my best to live up to your expectations and be your proud daughter.

Mom! Do you know how much I appreciate you? I appreciate you even more than I love you. You always support me whenever I have a hard time with my sisters and friends. Also, you listen to me carefully and give me good advice.

Do you remember when I talked about my friends with you? At that time, I used to hang out with many friends, but I did not feel like I belong to any of them. I did not know why I felt this way, but I felt very sad, and I talked to you while I was crying. However, you said to me that it was not my fault, and if happened to most teenagers sometimes. You tried to comfort me and make me feel better. Of course, I felt better after talking to you, and I was really impressed.

Also, you gave me some advice when I could not make a decision to live abroad. It was very hard for me to make that decision because I knew not only that it cost quite a bit of money, but also that it was not good for a girl to live in different country by herself. Although I worried about going abroad, you said “You do not need to worry about money. If you are really eager to learn in different countries, then you can go abroad. I do not want you to regret when you grow up because I know about regret better than anyone does. I used to want to go abroad, yet I could not because of money.” I am indebted to you for such a good time with the American people. You know me better that anyone else.

You are my best mentor, and you are the very person I can rely on. I am so thankful about your affects you have influenced in my life. I will try my best to learn English and American culture, even though I miss you very much. Thank you for having me and loving me so much. I will love you forever!


Lovely, your proud daughter, Joy


The author's comments:
I want to say thank you to my mom.