I Am What I Learn | Teen Ink

I Am What I Learn

By Lauren Greene BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Lauren Greene BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina

In many ways, our experiences and what we learn in life make up who we are as a person, whether it be positive or negative. Throughout the years of my life, I have come to learn many things, having learned from my experiences and those around me. I’ve learned things from my parents, in school, from special people in my life, friends, and I’ve even learned a few from myself. I tend to process everything I learn and try to find a way to make myself a better person; whether it be as a daughter, student, a friend, or someone who can just find strength within herself.

A lot of who I am, I’m grateful to say, comes from the great things I have learned from the many special people who have walked in and out of my life.

From my supportive parents, I have learned to be polite, accept people for who they are, and to always be honest, even if the truth hurts. In school, my teachers have taught me to be a good note taker, listener, observer, and they’ve taught me responsibility. When it comes to my friends, I look back on how they’ve taught me that true friends accept you for who you are, stick by your side, and remain loyal no matter what. Aside from learning from my parents, teachers and friends, there are a couple special people I’ve learned quite a bit from as well. From my loving boyfriend and my closest childhood friend, I have learned that it’s okay to trust and to open up to people. I’ve also learned that no matter what you face in life, the love and support of those you share your life with can give you the strength to overcome almost anything.

Due to my own experiences, I have learned many things from myself. After facing my insecurities and what I fear the most, I have learned to face my fears, not hide from them. I have learned that not only can my pain make me weak, but that I too, can gain strength from it. And from past experiences, I’ve matured and learned to be cautious, to make decisions wisely. Impulsive thoughts, decisions and actions, so I have come to realize, can often lead to dire consequences.

Running through the course of my life, I have taken everything I have learned and used it all to shape the person I am today. Based on what my parents have taught me, I am honest and respectful. To my friends, I am loyal and there for them no matter what. Taking what I have learned from my closest of companions, I am able to trust more easily and to confide in others. As a full-time high school student, I am responsible, I have good studying and note-taking skills, and I strive to reach my goals. Taking what I have learned from myself, I am able to gain strength from my pain and to make wise decisions.

What I have learned has helped me in so many ways, but by no means does that mean I am done learning. From the time we are born, until the day we die, we will all learn many, many things. With each new thing we learn, it changes us just that much more. Throughout the rest of my life, I will continue to learn many things and I’ll continue to improve who I am and how I use what I learn in my life. I am what I learn.