Wish List This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Like any kid, I start my Christmas list early. I want the usual – a certain CD or a gift card to my favorite store – but those go at the bottom of my list. When it comes to the time of year when I can ask for what my heart desires, I tend to think outside the box.

At the top I put my most desired present for the past few years, a working time machine. Although I have yet to receive it, I am still waiting patiently. Under that I put my yearly contracts.

First and foremost is the contract my parents sign that states our family will vacation at my favorite spot – Rocky Point, Mexico – whenever possible. Of course it is complete with fine print and witnessed at the signing. I use it against my parents when they­decide they would like to go to Disneyland or some pricey tourist attraction for vacation, instead of the beach complete with kayaking, fireworks, and Coke in glass bottles. I will admit it doesn't ­always work, but at least I've gotten a few words in.

In addition, I have a contract that says I am allowed to go to a friend's house when invited. This is necessary with an over-protective mom.

When thinking about what you want for Christmas, think What do I really need? Maybe your own personal “Get Out of Jail Free” card. Next time you miss curfew and get in trouble with your parents, show them the card and tell them you have learned your lesson and you'd like them to skip the long lecture and harsh consequences.

More than materialistic items can go on your Christmas list, and, if your parents agree, these presents are priceless.

SportyZo77 said...
All i can say is man, u sure are smart. I am deffinitley listening to you.