How Schools Deal With Children with Angleman Syndrome

Angelman syndrome is a neuro-genetic disorder that occurs in 1 in 15,000 live births. Some features of this syndrome include developmental delay, intellectual disability, severe speech impairment, and problems with movement and balance making it hard for these children to get the right education.
Children with Angelman Syndrome typically have a happy, excitable demeanor with a lot of smiling, laughter, and hand-flapping movements that may be a distraction during class. Some tips for teachers who are teaching children with Angelman Syndrome are to be very patient with the students and not to think that they are being disrespectful when they smile and laugh during inappropriate times.

Mr. Vogt an English teacher at Roslyn High School commented on the issue. He feels Angelman Syndrome is a terrible thing to have to go through. He doesn’t think that they should be in mainstream classrooms because they will become easily distracted and won’t receive the education they need. He feels that you can’t really give parents any words of hope, but they should be extremely patient and provide them with lots of love.