Mirror by Barlow Girl | Teen Ink

Mirror by Barlow Girl

October 14, 2009
By Delilah BRONZE, Pt Charlote, Florida
Delilah BRONZE, Pt Charlote, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Usually us girls depend on our mirror to show us who we really are. We cannot be prefect all over because studies prove that the spirit in our bodies is the only perfect part of us, located in the core of our body, the stomach and chest area. When we depend on our mirrors to show us who we truly are on the inside, our security in ourselves is completely lost and we believe lowlier of ourselves than what we deserve. Our lives become illusions of the popular news of tomorrow and our complete self-esteem burns like a flame, all the way to the ground. This song truly shows us just by the first paragraph, the desire creeping into us girls to look like a super model and be something better then how we were fearfully and wonderfully designed. And the last sentence of the first paragraph (you don’t own me) is a clear example that what we do is we become one with our mirrors and our appeal owns us to complete disaster in our future lying ahead. When we come across people who don’t accept us as we are, we should ask them the chorus of this song. Who are you to tell me that I’m less than what I should be? Who are you, who are you? I don’t need to listen to you I don’t need to listen to the list of things you think I should do, I wont even give it a try, no! I wont even give it a try.
This last paragraph, the last part of the song, is the most powerful in itself. It shows us when we realize that the beauty tips and hair products (the mirror) has overtaken us and we turn right around and head back to being normal. When we give up the plastic look and become a real person, and accept that God made us the way we are, we will realize that He defines us in himself, and in himself we are beautiful. We see a new reflection in ourselves; a beautiful young man/woman and we see beauty beyond compare. I have come to realize, for I had the same problem, if you apply make-up like frosting, it will only make you look worse. Only in Him can you be a true beauty. And if you have a problem, please let me tell you. You are beautiful!