Schools experimenting with social skills assessment | Teen Ink

Schools experimenting with social skills assessment

By Jessie Lynn BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York
Jessie Lynn BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York

In schools across America, social skills are lagging behind exam grades. Although many Americans feel that education is the key to success, they cannot reach their goals without the social skills to obtain it. Schools are debating whether it is necessary to teach socialization in the curriculum.

New Haven Middle schools in Connecticut are being tested by a broad social skills curriculum. “Having social skills would improve the way students work with one another. This could help in the future when working at a job,” a freshman at Roslyn High School in New York determines. The curriculums at the Middle schools are developed to involve parents and help students by raising their self-esteem. It was designed by James P. Comer, the Maurice Falk Professor of Child Psychiatry at the Yale University Child Study Center and associate dean of the Yale School of Medicine, and Roger P. Weissberg, associate professor of psychology at Yale.
The schools are creating role-playing exercises as well as training teachers. The program is also working on areas such as high-drop out rates, substance abuse and even teenage pregnancy. It emphasizes on problem solving, improved communication, decision making, self control and stress management Jason Geller, a Guidance Counselor at Roslyn High School, feels that a socialization class should be offered in all schools, if not mandatory. “With English, math, family and social lives it might be too much to mandate, but it needs to be offered because everyone would benefit.”
When discussing the testing of social skills with another student, he strongly disagreed with the curriculum. A freshman at Roslyn High School, Daniel Tack, stated, “I don’t necessarily agree with the fact of students being tested on social skills. I think that many students feel that the schedule is hectic enough without the testing on social skills and many kids would not want to be tested because they are comfortable with the way they are.”

on Oct. 29 2009 at 8:14 am
Lesley Heyman BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
This article is no doubt the most amazing thing I have ever read! Even though most people feel that they have a social life, this new social skills will be able to improve this even more. This article should be published it gave me goose bumps!!!