Dear Freshmen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

On the day of freshman orientation, when I visited my new high school for the first time, I almost had a nervous breakdown. Everything about the school seemed so difficult. When I got home, my parents said, “You're nervous and that's okay. Everyone is afraid of high school.” I denied it. I wanted to be strong, so I refused to let anyone know about my fear, even my closest friends.

On the first day I was late for every class and was constantly lost. The school seemed like a puzzle that I couldn't figure out. Was this how the whole year was going to be? I didn't think I could rise to this challenge, especially carrying a huge backpack that I could barely lift. It was so big that I could knock someone out with it! The upperclassmen seemed to peg me as a nerd, and they were probably right.

Despite my fears, after the first week I finally had my schedule figured out. With the exception of falling up and down the stairs a couple of times and getting laughed at, high school was turning out to be not so bad. It was actually much better than middle school and much more challenging.

Since then, I've been elected vice president of my class (which wasn't much of a triumph since only three people ran for the four positions). Even so, I am a representative of my grade, a politico in training, which makes me proud.

So, for any incoming freshmen out there reading this article right now, I would like to let you in on a couple of secrets. Shh! You must promise not to tell, okay?

It is normal to be scared about a new school. Take a deep breath and relax. High school is something that any student – and I repeat, any student – can overcome. Make sure you participate in some extracurricular activities because you'll find it easier to make friends (and to get into college). Strive to do your best, even if it isn't straight A's.

Most important of all, be who you are, whether you're a nerd, an athlete, or a drama geek. Don't try to masquerade as someone you're not (trust me, it doesn't work). Now you know the true secrets of high school.

ilovewriting95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Cool! high school isn't that hard for me but it does get difficult sometimes. I'm a freshman in high school this year.

headinclouds said...
this is really good! congrats on getting into the magazine! thank you also... ill be going into high school next year and i'm excited.. but nervous too, and this helps ;)

raven1694 replied...
Oct. 5, 2009 at 3:55 pm :
thank you sooo much.
yes high school gets hard, especially when you are a freshmen, but it will get easier i promise.