Can Everybody Be Great? | Teen Ink

Can Everybody Be Great?

By SairishHussain BRONZE, Bradford, Other
SairishHussain BRONZE, Bradford, Other

A bird doesnt sing because it has an answer. A bird sings because it has a song- Maya Angelou

Greatness is something most people dream of achieving. It is a sense of excitement that one day you aspire to touch. A vision created by your mind that you live in from day to day. It is something priceless that will lift your platform above the rest once it has been accomplished. The rewards will be happiness, self-satisfaction and of course plenty of admirers! But the questions are: Can everybody be great, or is it just something limited to a handful from a generation? Do people nowadays truly admire for the right reasons? Does ‘great’ equal Barack Obama or can it really be anyone?

This for sure depends on interpretation. There are many things that make up a great person: talent, fame, nobility, generosity and of course passion. Everybody’s interpretation is different, yet there are a few things that every great person owns and that is the ability to inspire and influence (in a good way of course!). Any boy or girl, man or woman who represents good and has something valuable to say, do or express is no doubt a person who deserves honour and respect. A successful, multimillionaire businessman/woman is great, but so is a not-so-rich aid worker whose life is dedicated to helping others. A fire-fighter who risks his or her own life to rescue others is great, yet so is a lawyer who works tirelessly to bring and restore justice. A musician who makes wonderful music to make people happy is great, but so is a skilful writer whose words can touch a person deep down in their heart. The list is endless and the only worthy participants are those whose sole aim is goodness.

So maybe you’re wondering: how can I be great? Is it really that easy? The answer is YES! Small, simple steps lead on to more rewarding things. Not everybody has to change the whole world; you just have to make a difference to your little corner of it. One of the most important things is for you to be able to admire for the right reasons and encourage what actually needs to be encouraged. Don’t be passive and allow things to just take place, instead be a part of it and make you make it happen.

Here are ten top tips on how to achieve respect, admiration and greatness in all areas of your life.

1.
Believe in yourself: Okay, it sounds so cliché, but it’s actually true. This quote from the Buddha might explain things “Your mind is everything. What you believe, you become.”
2.
Sort out your priorities: If you want reach your highest potential, you need to organise which aspects of your life are important and which things can actually wait.
3.
Expand your knowledge: Knowledge is priceless. It can be about anything and everything. It doesn’t have to be boring; you can expand your knowledge by reading books and watching movies.
4.
Be passionate: Nothing is more tedious than a person without passion. Passion is what drives a person to think, to say, to do. Discover your passion and make sure you can show expertise and enthusiasm when talking about it.
5.
Don’t just sit there, do things: Organise things, create things, try and better yourself. Once again there isn’t an end of possibilities!
6.
Show respect and compliment others: Be a gentleman or a lady about things. Be respectful to other people and you will without a doubt get it back. Praise and help others by genuinely being happy for their success. Don’t constantly see the worst in people instead, comment on their best points.
7.
Have fun: Enjoy yourself! Dare to do stupid or adventurous things. There’s no need to be sensible and grown up when the occasion doesn’t call for it! But…
8.
Keep dignified: This is very important. Grab hold of your self-respect and don’t lose it by doing something you’ll regret.
9.
Express your opinions: Another tedious trait- a person without opinions. Whether people like it or not, who cares! Stand up for whatever you believe in and don’t hold back when it comes to expressing your self.
10.
Never spoil your success by resorting to arrogance: Once your dreams are almost a reality and you have a herd of well-wishers, don’t ruin it by being ignorant and conceited. Nothing is more endearing than a successful, intelligent and charming person whose feet are firmly flat on the ground.

Saarah...x said...
OMG!!! Its wicked!!

Jahan-ara said...
on Sep. 15 2009 at 8:15 am
Absolutely brilliant......Fleet Street, here comes Sairish!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mehvish said...
hey kind of saw it a bit late, but sairish this is wicked, really amazing, well done, your really good !! xx

Nazim said...
on Sep. 14 2009 at 5:55 am
MashAllah a brilliant piece of work that demonstrates a level of maturity beyond your teens. Keep up the excellent thought provoking work.

What an inspiring and excellent piece of writing this is Sairish - you have described 'greatness' perfectly in a nutshell and I think the Teen Ink website were really fortunate to come across you and get to publish your work on their website!

Well done Sairish! This is really good.. So proud of you! Love Yuuu x Aysha x

Angelia SILVER said...
Angelia SILVER, Worcester, Massachusetts
this is amazing !

(:

Shamila said...
Excellent article! I am well impressed and feel that each word has touched my heart. lots of love. Auntie Shamila, kiss kiss

Rahema said...
hey there little sis! this is amazing, just like all the rest of your work. you work hard and it deserves to be recognised. good for you xx love ya lots

Saliya said...
on Sep. 12 2009 at 9:51 am
This is absolutely wicked!!!!!!!!!!!!

It actually sounds like an adult (e.g. arnfield) has written it, but then again all your work does.

Can't believe it. Can you rate higher than 5 stars????

From your best friend. XxxX .

Tasha said...
on Sep. 12 2009 at 7:54 am
wow that is amazing. Really wicked how do u do it Sairish? Your like incredible 5 stars man love you xxxxxxxxxxxx

Zeba said...
Thanks 4 da advice Sairish lol

luv yuu xx